Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm2
Accepted Solution

Wifi access, data roaming off

I know this question has been bantered around, but is has not addressed this very specific question:

Data services "ON"

When roaming "OFF"

Mobile network active (on)

Wifi on, set to preferred, connected

With the above setting, will the"data" like email work over Wifi if I am out of my service area (ie. roaming)??

I know that if Data Services is set to off, the Wifi will not work, but if it is set to "ON" and when roaming is "OFF", will that also prevent Wifi from working?  In other words, is the when roaming "OFF" only apply to the mobile network data (eg. 3G) or does it affect the wifi?  Intuitively, off is off, but then I didn't write this code....and I'm not going overseas to test it, my daughter will be going and she's not going to be able to troubleshoot this.  Thanks.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wifi access, data roaming off

She should set the Mobile Network to OFF, and leave data ON, or ON when Roaming, and the WiFi will be used for data transfer.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

What you describe is a functional alternative, but it does not answer my question. 

Does the wifi work if data services "ON", when roaming "OFF", and the BB is out of the home service area?

PS> "leave data ON or ON when Roaming" are not the same thing.  These are two separate options on this BB: 1) Data Services (on/off)  and 2) When Roaming (on/off/prompt).  This is why there is so much confusion in past responses as these two separate settings continually get misunderstood.

vuldub wrote:

Does the wifi work if data services "ON", when roaming "OFF", and the BB is out of the home service area?

Yes.

vuldub wrote:

PS> "leave data ON or ON when Roaming" are not the same thing. 

doh. I understand this.

Although you asked one question, I felt you also would like to know the way for your daughter to get data service while she is traveling.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I am confused about

"I felt you also would like to know the way for your daughter to get data service while she is traveling."

If  the wifi is working and data services are on (roaming off), I should still techically get "data services" via wifi.   So, why would it be necessary to turn the mobile network off?

Oh, it is not necessary to do so.

However, when the traveler is moving about, say across the French countryside and there is no WiFi, she will be will charged for data if the Mobile Network is on and receiving data. If that is not an issue, ignore it.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Okay, thanks again. 

I want to be crystal clear on this as there is a lot of misunderstanding on this issue on this forum.

You stated :

"However, when the traveler is moving about, say across the French countryside and there is no WiFi, she will be will charged for data if the Mobile Network is on and receiving data."

My specifics were:

Mobile network, ON

Data services, ON

While roaming, OFF

Wifi ON, preferred, connected hopefully, but if not available, then unconnected.

With these settings (leaving them unchanged)  I should not be charged for mobile network data services as it is turned off for roaming.  I should be able to access data services when the wifi has found a connection.  Correct?

Ah, I see what you're asking... when roaming, data is "off".

If Data services is OFF, even with WiFi on, she will not get data.

Which is I recommended the alternative setup.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Sigh.   I cannot seem to get you to understand this.  I can see why this subject hasn't been addressed properly.  

As I have stated:

1)  Data Services,"ON" (this is one menu option)

2)  While Roaming "OFF" (this is a separate menu option)

The first option needs to be ON for Wifi to work (this I know for sure).

With the second option set to "OFF" when roaming, does this only apply to the mobile network data or does it also affect the wifi data?  I know this implies that all data services will be "turned off when roaming"  but option 1 is the currently the controller for wifi and maybe option 2 has nothing to do with wifi.  Anyone can make a guess, including me, it's either yes or no, but I want to know for sure......

vuldub wrote:

Sigh.   I cannot seem to get you to understand this.  I can see why this subject hasn't been addressed properly.  

I understand completely.

With data services OFF when roaming, you will not get data, be it from WiFi, mobile network, etc.

Period. Not a guess.

So, under those circumstances, she will not get data when hitting a WiFi hotspot -- which is why I was "attempting" to assist you with an alternative working setup for her travel. But you seem less concerned about that Smiley Sad than making some other point you're determined to make.

Anyway, understood.

Knowledge Base Updates