Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8900 Curve
My Carrier: mobily pre-pay

Wifi connected but no internet

Hello all.

I am very new to Blackberry and have an 8900 curve. I purchased this in UK where I live but I'm currently in Saudi Arabia and use a pre-pay sim on the Mobily network. I am able to connect to WIfi at my hotel and at work but for some reason cannot access the internet via Wifi. Can anyone help please? 

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Wifi connected but no internet

Think you have to change the settings to Hotspot Browser.

Open the Browser

Press the Menu button next the trackball/pad

Options

Browser Configration

Change the "Browser" to "Hot Spot Browser".

Save and exit the menu and give it a go. There may be a few more steps depending on how the WiFi in the hotel works.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8900 Curve
My Carrier: mobily pre-pay

Thanks J0hnW00 for your reply to my post.

It worked!!!!

Many thanks again.

My Device: Blackberry Torch

I have Blackberry Torch, and I am very new to this .. I cant find Browser Configration option to do .

I tried 

//

Open the Browser

Press the Menu button next the trackball/pad

Options

Browser Configration <<< CANT FIND .. :-/

Change the "Browser" to "Hot Spot Browser".

Save and exit the menu and give it a go. There may be a few more steps depending on how the WiFi in the hotel works.

//

dint work .. :/

Visitor
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: vodafone

I have the same problem with my blackberry torch 9800 which I bought last weekend!  I have a plan with vodafone and when I was in london all worked well. Now I am in Paris and are connected to free wifi of the hotel, but when I click on the 'browser' it tells me " unable to connect to the internet, please try later"... what is going on? I can use the wifi with my laptop easy, but with the blackberry it just tells me that it is unavailable even though it has selected the wifi of the hotel . Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Nurtan

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: US Cellular

It's the same for me, my Torch shows me as connected to my home network but there is no internet access. I have added my device as "trusted" in my router software but even that cannot find the phone.
/\/\ike
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: o2

It maybe that Vodafone restrict your access whilst roaming but you would have to ask them this to know one way or another. Also your device might be automatically set to disconnect to internet services whilst roaming. You'll find this option in general settings normally - look for the "turn off data services whislt roaming2 option and change it to allow

PLEASE NOTE THIS MAY RESULT IN YOU BEING CHARGED ROAMING FEES SO DONT LEAVE IT AS THIS ONLY HAVE IT ALLOWED WHILST IN A WIFI ZONE
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: US Cellular

Thanks for your reply Cruton but...

With my mobile network switched off, I am actually connected to my router. There is no internet connection, it says. Checking my router settings, I find that my wife's Blackberry can access the router and the 'net with her mobile network switched off but I cannot. I doubt it has anything to do with Vodafone, probably something in settings.

Yes, I know about roaming fees, that is why one looks for a wireless network in order to avoid roaming fees.

/\/\ike
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: tmobile

The same thing just started happening with my blackberry curve here in Macau China.  It was working great for the first month and a half and now randomly one day it says i am connected to the internet but whenever i try to go on my browser or use bbm it says "unable to find the requested server."  I don't understand how one day it is working and the next nothing.  I turned off all my networks off except for wifi and went to advanced options and changed it to hotspot.  please help!!!

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9800
My Carrier: telefonica

I have the same issue, it's as if the device is unable to distingiush between romaing off and wi-fi on....if I enable rominag and data service then I of course can access the internet, but I don't want that I want to just use the hotel or office wifi...