Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8500
My Carrier: 44444444

Wifi not working properly

Hi,

I have had my Blackberry Curve for about a year and a half. I am from Ireland and this is where I bought the phone. About a year ago I had to move to America for work and have been there since. I kept my blackberry to use with my irish sim card over but I then applied for the unlock code so that I would be able to use it with an American sim card. It took nearly 8 months for you to finally give me the unlock code. I then proceeded to unlock my phone to find that my wireless has now stopped working. I cannot get the internet to work for me with either my irish or American sim card. Can you explain to me why this has happened? Does this happen to everyone that tries to unlock their blackberry? It says I am connected but my emails will not come through on my phone. it also will not allow me access certain apps on my phone eg facebook.

I am thoroughly disappointed, I really liked the phone but this has completely tainted my experience with RIM. Not only that it took nearly a year for you to give me the unlock code, which I had to apply for twice but when it finally did arrive it has completely broken the phone. I find this completely  unacceptable and am confident when I say that I will not be getting a blackberry phone ever again.

Jean

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Wifi not working properly

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

A couple of points, if I may...

First, this is a user-to-user community of volunteers trying to help each other out. It is not a channel for any formal communications with RIM. Such was clearly spelled out to you when you signed up on this site. Hence, your statements of "you" regarding your situation, while I suspect you intended them to be directed at RIM, are not such given the Ts and Cs of this site.

Second, even if you intended to direct your ire at RIM, you are under a mistaken consideration regarding obtaining your unlock code. RIM provides no unlock codes to end users...none. The mobile service providers often provide the codes for free to customers in current and good standing, and there are many fee-based services that provide unlock codes. But, since RIM provides no codes, your ire on that delay is misdirected (if indeed, by "you", you meant to direct your ire on that point to RIM).

Concerning your actual questions:

JeanBurlington wrote:

Can you explain to me why this has happened?

If you mean why the delay in receiving your unlock code, you must take that up with the provider of the code to you.

If you mean why has your WiFi failed now, much more diagnostics are required, but perhaps this KB would be useful:

• KB03889 Changing the service provider or network

Then again, given your final statements, spending any time diagnosing your issues is moot.

JeanBurlington wrote:

Does this happen to everyone that tries to unlock their blackberry?

No. But, again, further diagnosis is moot given your final statements.

Good luck with your new device/service!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I have tried to find an email address that would enable me to contact RIM. Two emails were unsuccessfully delivered and I kept getting redirected to this so that would be why you received my angry email. I am sorry that it got directed at this support community and not directed at RIM, which was my intention. I appreciate the help you have given me. 

Thank you anyway.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

There is a good reason why you can find no channel to contact RIM directly. That is because RIM provides absolutely no front line support. All customers receive, at time of device purchase and/or service subscription, instructions as to what their formal support channels are. They vary by region, so it's impossible to tell you which is yours -- they can be the original place of purchase, the mobile service provider, or an authorized service center. Each of those has the ability to escalate cases into RIM if necessary, but all front line support must be provided by those entities first before escalation into RIM. 

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase/subscription. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

PS -- you may also wish to alter your profile here. You have placed, into the "My Carrier" field, your mobile number...that is considered "personal information", and is prohibited as per the Ts and Cs of this site. Further, as a totally open and public forum, you have now published your mobile phone number to any unscrupulous characters who may wish to exploit it.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

One more thing...we really may be able to help you with your situation...we have several talented volunteer experts who are always willing to help others out. You would, of course, have to rescind your final statements...if you shift away from BB, there's no reason to fix your issues anyway.

We can't, of course, help with your upset concerning how long it took to receive your unlock code...that must, as I said earlier, be taken up with whoever provided you that code...and, again, that would not have been RIM as they do not provide unlock codes to end users.

New Contributor

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. I do intend to keep using my blackberry and will rescind my final statements. As for the length of time it took to get the unlock code, I was informed by my network provider that they had applied to RIM for it and they would send it to me once it was received. As this took so long I presumed it was an issue with RIM and not with my provider but prehaps I was wrong.

What information can I give you regarding my problem that may be able to help you help me fix my phone? It seems that I am no longer connected to an Internet service account. I have a number of different wifi's that I would use - work, home, etc and none of them work with my phone anymore. It does say that they are connected but my emails no longer come through. I have tried to reconfigure my emails but when I attempt to do so I get the following message "Your device had a problem connecting to the server". I upgraded to a plan that gives me unlimited data but it seems that only the browser is really working with regard to connecting to the internet.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

OK...thank you for your understanding.

First off, refer to this (it may or may not be on-line at the moment):

In general, that lays out what services will work with different levels of data plans. It's not totally up to date with recent developments in the OS or newer services, but it's general enough. Plus, there are hundreds of carriers in the world, each with different data plan levels...so it's really only possible for the carriers to say precisely what services should and should not work for an individual user.

But, from what you stay, email is no longer working...and it won't. Email on a BB depends on the BIS service, which is carrier/RIM hosted, which requires an adequate data plan subscription in order to function. It is totally different from most other platforms. Even if you have WiFi, you have no email service without a proper data plan.

The plan you upgraded to...if that was a generic data plan, then it did not include the BB Proprietary services, which includes email.

All of that said, it's not the end of it all yet for your specific circumstance...

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Further, please refer to this KB regarding shifting carriers:

• KB03889 Changing the service provider or network

Additionally, since your BB was once associated with another carriers BIS, there may be Service Books that are resident which are preventing functionality on the network you are now on and/or blocking your use of WiFi (at least as far as WiFi should function, given the lack of a BIS data plan now). Normally, those would be properly replaced when you switch carriers (via changing the SIM)...but, that only really works right when your new carrier is also providing you a proper BIS plan, which I am thinking your's is not. In which case, a device WIPE may be necessary to clear out any Service Books that may be interfering:

• KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option
  • KB16307 Actions performed by the BlackBerry smartphone during the removal of stored user and application data

There are three levels of WIPE documented...you may need to go all the way to the ResetToFactory level:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Of course, if you have data on that BB that you need to preserve, you'll want to first take a full backup:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

With all of that, I'm going to stop and let you digest this...there is a lot of information to absorb before you choose the path you wish to now pursue.

Good luck and let us know!