Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

Wifi to make calls in Europe?

I have (accidentally) rec'd calls at 30,000 ft on a delta plane with my network option on wifi only and having logged on to Deltas onboard wifi.  This led me to believe that it is possible to make and recieve calls anywhere in the world as long as I am in a hot spot.

I have contacted my carrier, T-mobile, and have rec'd mixed signals from them.  I am about to depart for spain and was thinking as long as I set my phone to wifi only, I should be able to make, recieve calls and data without incurring any roaming charges since it is all data or VoIP via the web. 

Am I correct or off my rocker?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wifi to make calls in Europe?

Tmobile knows that your device has UMA calling.

As long as you are connected to WiFi, and have UMA showing on your screen, you can make calls on your device. From anywhere in the world. And, on UMA, the calls act as if you are calling from the US, since UMA connects to Tmobile's USA servers and calls are made from that server.

So, for instance, while in Spain, and you call via UIMA, to the USA, your call is a USA to USA call.

If you call from Spain to England, the call is made as if from USA to England.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

You should freelance to the carriers for a fee, you know far more about the phones' capabilities than they do.  Thank  you for the rapid response and knowlegable answers. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

lol, thanks.

You're welcome.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

Is this option on available with certain carriers?

I have Sprint and I don't have the "Preferred network for calls" option on my BB Bold 9930.

Thank you in advance