Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Will I get charged for using Instant Messengers?

[ Edited ]
Will I get charged extra fees or anything for using IMs like Windows Messenger or Yahoo Messenger?
Message Edited by TrojanBerry on 11-24-2008 02:15 PM
Regular Contributor
My Device: Verizon BB Strm 9530

Re: Will I get charged for using Instant Messengers?

As far as I know it is all part of the DATA package.  I got the $29.99 UNLIMITED data pkg from Verizon that has all Internet, SMS, etc. all unlimited.
..sp
Thanks for clicking on KUDOS if this solved your problem!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I was told that IMs are not included in the data pkg. They are .15 each or $5 per month for a set number ... I can't recall the number but it was more than 100.
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Rosebud, you were told wrong, sort of.

Instant Messaging applications that use DATA will pull from your Data Plan package (those include BlackBerryMessenger, JiveTalk, WebMessenger, GoogTalk, Yahoo, etc.) Most of the apps fall in this category.

Those that use TEXT base messaging for the IM will pull from your SMS/text package. There are only a few of these left, including OZ.

Bottom line, watch your bill, if you notice something odd, question it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

So..how do I find out if it's DATA or TXT based? I might use Yahoo IM and MSN IM (Windows)
Contributor

Text based is a simple test message typed and sent via phone to phone, not via internet. It's done through the folder on the Storm labeled SMS and MMS (MMS being media message, like a photo sent from phone to phone). If you do lots of texting phone to phone, you can pay for packages (I have the $5 for 100/month package). Otherwise I believe it's .05 per text message sent or received and .25 for pic/media message sent/recieved.

Data based messages are typically what is done via the internet: Yahoo, Google Talk, AOL Instant or MSN messengers.

(I just got the data package for the first time from Vz, and that's how it was explained to me.)

A side note, I did see a Vz ad in Sunday's paper where they are offering unlimited Text, Data (email, web, IM) for $69 along with Nationwide calling plan (didn't specify number of minutes in plan, tho.)  I should look into that, it wasn't offered to me when I got my Storm and would be cheaper than adding up phone plan, data plan and Text package separately.

Contributor

Are you guys sure that the instant messenger like Yahoo IM  etc.. will be included in unlimited data plan? have you received your latest bill to prove that.. as on another website I read that each login, logout and message sent or recieved is counted towards your text messaging pack...

Otherwise why would they have these packs.. as all people can log into Yahoo IM from their mobile and still send messages from phone (one yahoo IM) to another phone ( other Yahoo IM)..

sorry but know how Verizon milks on extras I am a bit skeptical....

Contributor

Yah, I'll agree w/Vz milking charges stormchaser. If it weren't for the fact that Vz is the only carrier I can get service on when I go back home (farm, very rural area), I would have ditched them long ago.

I haven't gotten my first bill yet since I got the Storm and added data plan. Am going by what I was told by Vz store rep. But to err on side of caution, probably best not to take that as gospel.

Hopefully someone who has used data plans from Vz for awhile can clear it up. 

Contributor

Yeah I tried to read the fine print on the verizon booklet and website.. no where it makes any distinction of IM data usage vs phone to phone SMS message...

So not sure what is going on...

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Trojan,

I had the same question, which I posted on the CrackBerry Forums site.  The answer I heard from several users is if you download an instant messenger program from the RIM/BlackBerry site (either by PC or directly with your BB), it is designed to draw from the data package (good).  If you download and use the application from your wireless provider (as is certainly the case for VZW in the US), it typically will draw from your bucket of text messages as "out-of-network" SMS's (meaning each and everytime you log in, update friend list, send or receive an IM, each one counts as a text message).  

So, unless you have unlimited out-of-network domestic texting, I would suggest going with one from the RIM site and letting it count as data (if you have unlimited data, which most BB users do).  

Everytime I call VZW, I get a different answer on this question, so I'm watching my bill to see if this holds true, and I will post my findings when I find out more.

Good luck,

Jeremy