Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 and Desktop Manager

Hi, I have an 8700c running the latest AT&T device software (4.5.110).  I recently installed Windows 7 Build 7000, and I'm unable to communicate with my BB via USB.  The desktop manager starts, and starts communicating via USB, then hangs.  If I disconnect and quickly reconnect the USB connection, the program continues, but I'm unable to synch or downgrade the device software.

I'm not trying to use the media manager, just the Desktop Manager.  I'vetried to reinstall Desktop Manager 4.7 as well as 4.6; also the device software.  I've tried troubleshooting compatibility for the Desktop Manager as well as the Loader.

Nothing seems to help.  My computer is a Thinkpad T60.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Windows 7 and Desktop Manager

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try this troubleshooting article for USB desktop connections.

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB00125&sliceId=1&docTy...
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thank you!  The issue seemed to be the USB power management properties under Windows 7.  Fixing these allowed the desktop manager to communicate with the blackberry just fine.

Thanks again!

BobFoery

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Cool!
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Bifocals
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

I am running the released version of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on my HP Laptop.  I have installed/uninstalled/reinstalled Desktop managers 4.6 - 5.0.1, in all cases the install completes without error, but when I plug in either of my blackberries, using any of 3 RIM supplied cables into any of 6 USB ports, my computer recognizes the blackberry, but the desktop manager does not.  Again there are no errors, DM just sits there reporting Pin of connected device: none.

I have changed the power settings on the USB drivers in device manager, done full uninstalls of DM, actually uninstalled all the USB devices on the machine and let them get reinstalled, all to no satisfaction.  Both blackberries work fine on another computer, so I am pretty sure it is not the handheld devices.  I have had no problems with any other USB devices I have plugged into this machine, iPod, thumbdrive, external hard drive, printer.

Help.....

Barry

Visitor

So i was going to buy a new laptop today that comes loaded with windows 7, but what are we supposed to do to sync our BB's with these issues. What are the power management changes that you all have made that allowed you to use DM with USB connection of your BB?? Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

Finally, someone experiencing the exact issue I have.  Clean install of Windows 7 on a new machine.  DM 5.0.1 works just fine on my laptop with updated OS. Can't get the DM to recognize the berry (yes, the windows device manager totally recognizes the device). I did achieve it once or twice but never to the point of synching. Now, after repeated reinstalls, tinkering with power management and compatibility settings, i get no recognition of the device. Have also tried shutting off antivirus, checked for port conflicts, tried all USB ports etc etc etc. When I contacted RIM, guess what? They only provide support on a fee-basis.

My conclusion is that RIM needs to put a patch out for Windows 7.  Would love any feedback or solutions. Thanks.

BB Bold 4.0.297 (ATT)

DM 5.0.1 with the update

Windows 7 Pro

Contributor

Sadly, I have heard nothing from anyone, i have resorted to using Google calendar and Google sync for my calendar, and DM on my vista desktop, with a special outlook profile, for contacts and notes.  There seems to be a different problem syncing my calendar through DM, even from the vista machine.

Hope someone can help you, and i get to tag along.

Barry

New Contributor

Solution found for my issue with DM 5.0.1 - I am running a Gigabyte P55 motherboard and needed to upgrade the BIOS.  I did turn power manager settings off for all USB ports but otherwise it is running fine.  I have not tried updating the device OS based on issues reported by others.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour

I have Win 7 64bit and have the same problem as everyone else.  Not one USB port has RIM on it.

I tried to follow instructions to manually update a USB Composite.  That was a mistake.  It didn't say anything, but it was the keyboard/mouse USB and I suddenly couldn't do anything.  I got into safe mode and reset the USB so that is OK now, but I'm still upset.  I've tried a number of versions, tried compatability mode (which worked for the USB connection for ColorMunki).

I'm getting really upset.