Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

Windows XP SP 3 - Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0.2 Will Not Open

When I try to start the desktop manager software I immediately get the windows message: "BlackBerry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I've consulted many resources and tried several fixes, including taking ownership of the registry, renaming one of the library files, and downloading a .NET patch, so far no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Windows XP SP 3 - Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0.2 Will Not Open

I'm having the exact same issue with my DM 6.0.2 on my PC running XP ver 2002 Professional Service Pack 3. The problem started happening immediately after I updated my Desktop Manager to the latest ver 6.0.2. I need help on this one, trying to run a business and this is making it VERY difficult, PLEASE HELP! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 6.0.2 and all other previous versions, rebooting and no luck...

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: T Mobile UK

Yes - same problem with brand new phone and software.
Bold 9790/PlayBook 64GB
New Contributor

It appears Blackberry has a problem.  It would be nice if some one from Blackberry technical support could reachout to us and lend a hand. 

New Contributor

I could not agree with you more! They make it really difficult for us to support them if they don't support us...I can't even get the previous version to work now, is there another way of getting support for the BB software/hardware?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Support is provided by your carrier. Contact them for help. They have the ability to escalate your case to RIM, if they can't resolve it. If you try contacting RIM directly, you'll have to pay for support.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply and advice. 

For the record and anyone from RIM that monitors these boards, if it is true that we have to contact our carrier to fix our desktop software, that is extremely disappointing.  At least two of us who posted on this thread are trying to run businesses and I'm sure all three of us are trying to use this equipment to manage our lives.  The fact that we have to spend time talking to Verizon to then talk to RIM is stunning.  Frankly, I don't have the time or interest in debugging RIM's software and I am miffed that I am in this situation.  All I want to do now is get my updated calendar and contacts off the device and switch my firm's equipment to a manufacturer that provides technical support for their own software and enhances their customer's efficiency and productivity.

New Contributor

What a joke, "contact your carrier"!!! I did contact Telus and they were no help whatsoever and had me do all the really basic stuff that I have already tried, and told them that I had already tried! I could tell that they were reading from a manual and had no clue how to help me. I have a small business with approx 70 employees and out of the 70, I have 12 service techs for HVAC & Plumbing & Heating service and maintenance. I regrettably decided about a few years ago to get rid of their "Mike" phones and go to BlackBerries, I also have Foreman out on the jobsites that have BlackBerries. In total, we have 23 BlackBerries with our Telus provider. This is not by any means a large account compared to other Corp accounts etc, but it shouldn't matter if I purchase 1 BB or 100, I should still be provided technical service as I am a "customer". If I didn't provide my "customers" with service, I would not be in business very long. Thankfully we have, for over 35 years! If these boards are not monitored by BlackBerry, then why did I get to this forum from clicking on a link on BlackBerry's Support page? I have had many issues with the BB Desktop software over the years, but this one has me stumped and I need HELP so I can sync again with Outlook. I just bought a PlayBook as I thought it would be better for my Service Techs to read their Work Orders in pdf, already having issues with the PB, especially BATTERY life! 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: T Mobile UK

Just installed on Win 7 starter on a netbook and it seems to work OK.

Bold 9790/PlayBook 64GB
New Contributor

Got it to work.

Here is what I did:

I took the advice to call Verizon.  Verizon obviously couldn't help, because it is a software issue, not a phone related issue.  After getting passed around to two Verizon Tech Support people, the last one connected me to RIM tech support and handed me off.  The first person at RIM asked VERY basic questions and didn't know what to do with this issue, so they connected me to the next level up.  The RIM tech support had me uninstall/reinstall DTM 6.0.2 and rerun, I think he was trying to get a recent event logged that would detail the problem.  Incidently, he asked about any security programs that might be running in the back ground and suggested shutting everything off.  After the uninstall/reinstall, the program still crashed before it started up and we got the familiar windows "Blackberry Desktop Software has encountered a problem and needs to close...". 

At this point we went to the system log by going to "Run" in the start menu and typing %temp%.  There are two logs I emailed blackberry Tech Support: BB_Desktop and BB_DM.  We also looked at the event viewer in computer management by right clicking My Computer, selecting "manage", expanding "event viewer", selecting "application".  We looked at the errors associated with the software crashing.

Here is what we learned:

It wasn't a blackberry software issue, but a microsoft .NET framework issue (which I had read about and thought I tried an update in some other threads about this issue, but clearly didn't carry the ball far enough).

At this point, blackberry Tech Support told me to contact microsoft to help fix the problem.

Rather than spending another 3 hours on the phone, I decided to try to repair/update the .NET framework on my own.  After several downloads and updates, the blackberry software now works like it should.

These are the resources I used, in order.

1. Download the "Full Redistributable Package" of .NET Framework 3.5 full package near the bottom of the page of http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&dis...

2.  Uninstall using Add/Remove Programs all previous Microsoft .NET Framework programs (there were 3)

3.  Install the "Full Redistributable Packge downloaded in #1 above.

4.  Downloaded and Installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b...

5.  Navigated to Microsoft Update at http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us and selected Express update

Several of these steps required a reboot, etc.  I just followed all of the instructions.  Of course I kept checking and hoping the blackberry desktop software would work.  It finally did after #5 above--the express update found I needed to install some high-prioirity update that I can only assume was a patch or something to the.NET framework.

In any event, the whole thing took about 45 minutes and now the desktop software is functioning.

To any real computer people who may evaluate all of these steps, I'm sure I have some redundancies, but whether or not this was the most eloquent way to solve the problem, it got me to the finish line.

If your issue is a .NET framework issue, this could help solve your issue.

Good luck