Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Windows XP wont recognise Bold as a Blackberry

Having a bit of an issue with connecting the Bold to Win XP.

Running XP Pro SP2, DM 4.6 without Media add on. USB 2 port on back of machine.

On connecting the Bold to the computer, the windows 'found new hardware' bubble appears, confirms a new device, but then can't decide what the device is. It first says USB mass storage device, then USB composite device, then RIM composite device, then gives up and says there is a problem installing your device.

I have repeatedly tried to uninstall and reinstall the DM (yes, Ive tried different versions) and also hard resetting the BB itself (battery pulls, the lot). The annoying thing is, it works straight off the bat when I plug the old Pearl in...

I'm getting extremely annoyed with this now and judging from my web searches, so are many people.

I need to get the thing to sync with my desktop as I have a few hundred contacts that I can't get on the handset (and no, I'm not going to spend a whole day typing them in again).

Is there a driver fix that will rectify this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as this is solely the most frustrating problem I've ever encountered with a BB handset!

Cheers in advance.

Si

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000 T-Mob UK

Re: Windows XP wont recognise Bold as a Blackberry

Did you download the Desktop Manager from the BlackBerry website? If so, then it might be a case of trying it in another PC if available.

JD

When all else fails, just ask your friend what happened. They won't know but at least your both failing in style!

Please consider Kudos when I help you resolve an issue!
New Contributor

I've loaded the DM from the disc supplied with the handset and also at least three different versions from the website (stepping back an edition in each attempt). I have now run the updates on XP and have SP3 installed, however, I'm still getting the same notification from the hardware wizard. Something just isn't working properly and I can't work out what.

The Bold charges fine, both attached to the mains charger and through the USB, so it's not an issue with the port on the handset. I've tried connecting it to every USB port on my computer, none of which work. I've tried three different USB cables, that didn't work. I've tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again, that doesn't work.

I still have no contacts in my handset and I'm even more frustrated than I was yesterday.

I'm not a fan of failing, let alone 'failing in style', I'm determined to get this problem fixed but I'm rapidly running out of ideas.

If anyone has any, throw some suggestions this way before my poor head explodes/PC gets kicked to pieces/new Blackberry Bold becomes airborne...

Thanks.

Si.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000 T-Mob UK

There might be something wrong with the USB connection in the handset, but I doubt it. It might be an idea to search on the Microsoft website for some update drivers, but I know of people having problems with XP SP2 and SP3 which is very odd. Sorry I cant help much more, I use OS X now but i've been good with XP for years. It seems weird i must admit.

JD

When all else fails, just ask your friend what happened. They won't know but at least your both failing in style!

Please consider Kudos when I help you resolve an issue!
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

The USB drivers are in the "device software" to my knowledge ad not in BB DTM (been wrong before Smiley Embarassed).....please go out to the BB site and download/install Bold 9000 device software.  Once installed (no reboot required), then connect device.  You should be good to go.
New Contributor

I might have tried that already (tried lots of things) however, I'm gonna give it another go tonight... Got to be worth a punt! Smiley Indifferent
New Contributor

Right. That didn't work.

This is where I am now:

I've now done a complete re-format and operating system re-build on my computer. Running Windows XP SP3. I have downloaded the Blackberry 9000 device drivers from the Blackberry site (even the UK Vodafone specific ones). I've installed DM 4.6 without the media manager (as I read this is the most stable version and yes, I've previously tried the others). I have hard-reset the handset and booted everything up from cold.

Plug the Bold in (to the USB port on the back of the machine) and... *drumroll*... Nothing.

Honestly. I'm an unhappy and frustrated little bunny.

Windows still runs the device wizard when I plug her in but I'm still getting the same 'USB Composite Device' and 'RIM Composite Device' messages. Device manager won't upgrade the drivers as it thinks the handset is a composite device and already has standard drivers installed for that.

The problem really is that when plugged in, the Bold is simply not recognised as a Blackberry Smartphone by the computer, regardless of the drivers being installed.

Someone please tell me what I can do to fix this issue. I'm two steps shy of being sectioned as I'm totally loosing it over this **bleep** thing...

Si
Highlighted
New Contributor

BB Friends,

I am also victim of same situation. what ever is mentioned by the originator of this SUBJECT, each and every thing I rememebr i also did. but could not get success.

nothings works.

I tried it with atom based mini netbook loaded with windows 7 i could get is. it's able to use recoginze BB as Mass storage device and able to show the contents. not shure if i load the BBDM it would recognise again or not??

Nadeem