Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG191), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Windows8

Golly...if I had a nickel for every iFruit threat tossed around here. You do realize that this is a BB support site, contributed to by volunteers who give kindly from their hearts to help other BlackBerry users, right? I only point this out as it just gets a bit tiresome to hear the constant threats to move to another platform, bash this platform, and other things that really have nothing whatsoever to do with getting a problem solved. If you really want to move on, please do...I've said my piece about that earlier (no platform has ever reached perfection).

Also do be aware that, other than saying basically "it should work", the BlackBerry Desktop Software does not support Windows 8...so you are basically trying to do something that is not supported. Which means you have to be able to dig your way through all of the technical details about how to make it work, which is not a casual thing at all to undertake. And there is still no guarantee that it will workIfyoudon'tknowhowtodigyourwaythroughthosethings, thentherecommendationwouldbetoremainonthesupportedplatform

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

@sdgardne, Just a small comment, the BlackBerry Desktop Software application should work on Windows 8, as mentioned in this KB: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB32926

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG191), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ndsmyter wrote:
@sdgardne, Just a small comment, the BlackBerry Desktop Software application should work on Windows 8, as mentioned in this KB: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB32926

Yes thank you, I am well familiar with that KB, and have cited it many times...but it seems that we actually agree...for you also say it "should work". But, it is not presently listed in the specific published compatibility information:

Hence, I agree with you -- it "should work"...but I would not say that any sort of guarantees for compatibility nor simplicity exist at all, and may well require many technical "tricks" to get it to work.

My point to the poster above was that they seem to be seeking simplicity and ease...which, until BlackBerry updates that formal system requirements page, I believe I will stick with my present guidance.

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................