Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860

Wiped / Reloaded OS, Cannot Connect to Mobile Data Network

[ Edited ]

BB Torch 9860 - Cincinnati Bell Wireless

OS v7.1.0.746
BES and BIS

So how do get my BlackBerry Torch 9860 fixed? It freaked out -- got a "JVM error - reset" message, had to reboot. Got it again while rebooting. So I pulled the battery, and it went into a continuous reboot loop. After trying many times to do an Update in Desktop Manager, I finally had to wipe the phone, then I was able to reload the OS and restore from my latest backup. Now it's running and I can make/receive calls, but can't get email, even over Wi-Fi.

Enterprise Activation didn't help.

At first I thought it was a hardware issue but ran the diagnostics on the Mobile Network options page (saw this suggested by "bifocals" elsewhere on the BlackBerry Community Forums) and found that the radio is reaching the mobile data network (EDGE), but the report also says, "BlackBerry Registration: No." We called our carrier (Cincinnati Bell Wireless) but after trying many things (sending service books, sending an activation signal, etc.) they could not fix it.

What do I do? I can't get BES or BIS services until this is fixed.

Here's the diagnostic report with personal info obfuscated.

Diagnostic Started: Jan 16, 2013 22:27
Diagnostic Completed: Jan 16, 2013 22:28
PIN: ********
MSISDN: +1 (513) ***-****
Device Type: BlackBerry 9860
Application Version: v7.1.0.746
Platform Version: 5.1.0.546
Service Books: WPTCP,BrowserConfig,RIM_IM,WAPPushConfig,WPTCP,WPTCP,WPTCP,MMS,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,PROVISIONING,ALP,BBIM,CMIME,IPPP,MDS,OTASL,ServiceConfig,SYNC,FileBrowserConfig,BrowserConfig,KEYNEGO,CICAL,LbsConfig,YHO,CMIME,CICAL,BBID,BBIMConfig,LbsConfig,OTASL,BBIM,CICAL,FeedsConfig,BBIMConfig,CICAL,CMIME,SearchServicesConfig,CMIME,BBIMConfig,BBIM

Free File Space: 121008423 bytes
Radio Data Activation: Yes
Signal Level: -92 dBm
Radio Access: EDGE
Network: Cinti Bell
IP Address: 10.57.5.4
ICMP Ping Echo: Yes
BlackBerry Registration: No
Connected to BlackBerry: Abort
BlackBerry PIN-PIN: Abort
Server Name: S50464485
Email Address: PSantucci@******.com
Connected to PSantucci@******.com : Abort
Server Name: BISE06C03S02
Email Address: ******@fuse.net
Connected to ******@fuse.net : Abort

One of the first things I tried was setting up email again. The Email Setup icon shows (4), but every time I open it, it takes me to the Enterprise Activation screen. I think you must need a DATA connection on the Mobile Network because my phone seems to thinks it doesn't have BIS. So I went to the Internet Email Setup on the web on a PC and re-sent Service Books, but of course they ALSO must go over the Mobile Data Network, and my phone is acting like it doesn't see that.

That's one reason I ran the diagnostic test, to prove to Cincinnati Bell Wireless that my phone can reach the EDGE Network, even though it never displays more than "edge" (in lower-case). The surprise (for me) was that for some reasonthe phone says it's not "Registered" with BlackBerry.

I'm wondering if I need to go through the whole Switch Device routine. It's as if since I wiped the device, the BlackBerry Internet Service is acting like the phone has been deactivated, sold, or stolen.

Help, please?

7.1 Bundle 2108 (v7.1.0.746, Platform 5.1.0.546)
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9860 : rdp71uw
My Carrier: Mtn Nigeria

Re: Wiped / Reloaded OS, Cannot Connect to Mobile Data Network

I'm having the same issues now, my host routing table is empty, im sure yours is too....seems the problem is coming from Rim, my network provider was no help....maybe yours will...contact Rim through them..

New Contributor

Yes, my Host Routing Table also says * No Entries *.

And when I'm on that screen and select Register Now from the BB Menu, a dialog pops up saying, "Registration message sent!"

But nothing else happens. Still says edge in all lower-case. Smiley Sad

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9860 : rdp71uw
My Carrier: Mtn Nigeria

yup..same thing, contact ur carrier...atlst thatz what i was advised to do..

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

On the handset, go to:

For OS5 and 4.x
Options - Advanced Options - Host Routing Table
and click Register now, and escape back to the home page.

For OS6 and higher
in options, device , advanced, host routing table, click on menu and choose register now.

Wait 2 minutes and see if registration to network happens.

Resend your service books from your carrier BIS site:
From your handheld device: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15402

Go to the Personal Email Set Up icon and log in. Then under Help!, select Service Books, then select Send service Books.

From your desktop PC: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830
North American Carriers
- scroll down to select your carrier
WorldWide Carriers - Find your carrier on the list

3. With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. This reboot, even if you have already done this, is often needed to install the service books.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

knottyrope wrote:

On the handset, go to:

For OS5 and 4.x
Options - Advanced Options - Host Routing Table
and click Register now, and escape back to the home page.

For OS6 and higher
in options, device , advanced, host routing table, click on menu and choose register now.

Wait 2 minutes and see if registration to network happens.

Resend your service books from your carrier BIS site:
From your handheld device: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15402

Go to the Personal Email Set Up icon and log in. Then under Help!, select Service Books, then select Send service Books.

From your desktop PC: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830
North American Carriers
- scroll down to select your carrier
WorldWide Carriers - Find your carrier on the list

3. With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. This reboot, even if you have already done this, is often needed to install the service books.

Done all that before. Just did it again, in the order you listed. No change, still not connecting to the mobile DATA network. Never received an email saying the device is registered with BlackBerry.

The Service Status screen shows:

Mobile Voice

Phone Number:            +1 (513) ***-****

Connection:                     Mobile Network

BlackBerry Internet Service

Connection:                     Not Connected

BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Connection:                     Not Connected

Mobile Network

Coverage:                                              H+

Provider:                            Cincinnati Bell

I've seen the coverage variously as H+, gprs (through the repeater at work), and edge, but apparently none of those give me a data connection over the mobile network.

Service Books didn't get updated either, but if you read through my original post, you'll see I already have all my Service Books; I did a restore after the OS reload.

Should I not have done that? Should I instead wipe the phone, reload the OS, and then resend Service Books? And if that's successful, then I could try the restore. What do you think? Can't hurt to try, right?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I would contact your carrier to see if the dataplan is still applied on account

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Hi knottyrope,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already been in touch with Cincinnati Bell Wireless. They have verified my data plan and that my phone is provisioned for BIS. They also tried sending sending a Data Activation Signal and Service Books.

I'm wondering if I need to go through the whole Switch Device routine. Since I wiped / reloaded my phone, the BlackBerry Internet Service is acting as if the phone has been deactivated, sold, or stolen. And I saw in a KB article that as of 7.0 the Security Wipe is the mechanism for determining that a phone has changed hands. (Though I can't find that article at the moment.)

Guru III
My Device:

Did you do a battery pull once they sent the service books?

New Contributor

Yes.