Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Wireless Calender Sync

I am using a BB Storm which is a personal phone and not a business one. I am trying to get my BB to wirelessly sync its calender with my Windows Live calendar. I've added my Windows Live email account which has added successfully but when I try to wirelessly sync my calendar on my BB, it won't allow me to as the button is greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wireless Calender Sync

That is not a function and is not possble.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Could you please give some more info regarding when you can/cannot sync wirelessly if you are using a person account?  I have swbell (ATT) and use Outlook for my calendar.  I finally decided that must not be possible since it does not reside on a network, just my PC.  So I synced with a yahoo calendar, so now all my calendar events are on Yahoo.  I thought that should sync with my BB Storm, but that's not working either, although it is entirely possible that I set it up wrong or incompletely.  Is it possible to sync wirelessly with a personal account?  If so, how do you do it?
Contributor

As a direct function of your Storm on BIS I’d agree that wireless calendar sync is not possible but there is a way!  I am a small business owner without BES and wanted this capability.  I have found that you can sync your PC’s outlook wirelessly with Google Calendar as a 2 way sync.  Then use the Google Sync for Blackberry and set up a 2 way sync.  After doing this anything entered on your BB calendar will sync to your Google calendar and then get pushed to your PC.  This also works in reverse.  You can also do this with your contacts: however, I have not utilized it for that.  It requires that you establish a Google account, but that’s it.  It gives you a free mode of establishing the wireless sync relationship.  If your primary email that you use is NOT a Gmail account, you can still use your main email address from the BB.  One down side is that the sync only works 24 weeks forward / 4 weeks back.  I have used this for 6 weeks and it works like a charm.  I hope this helps. 

New Contributor

What you did with google is exactly what I tried with Yahoo (in fact, I think I did it because of one of your posts).  But I can't get the Yahoo sync to work, so I suspect that I will have the same problem with google.  In fact, when I go through the sync on th DM, I don't even see google as an option, which is why I elected to use yahoo instead.  So how do you get it to recognize google? (From spending way too much time reading the amazing posts out there, it seems that there is incredible inconsistency in selections available depending on what version of the s/w you are using--have you found this to be true?)

My problem in using the yahoo is that I go to sync>configure sync>synchronization.  Then select calendar>setup>yahoo (there is no option for google, just Outlook, ASCII, and yahoo)>two way sync (not sure whether to select initiate sync also, but I have tried both ways) >and on the next page, there is an options button that I saw in a tutorial you were supposed to click and input the account, but when I click absolutely nothing happens.  I actually think this might be the entire problem. 

So my two questions are:  how do you select google, and do you use that "options" button?  I am wondering if there is someplace else that I need to input something about the yahoo account or some other selection somewhere that will make that options button work.  Other than having that throw-down yahoo email account in my BB, the address/user name is not listed anywhere.  So unless it got the name (telling ti where to sync from) from either inputting under the option button (which I can't), or from the BB device (which I doubt that it does), the sync couldn't work.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide. 

And a zillion thanks to all of the people who post answers here.  I just got my Storm and went into it with my eyes wide open, but really didn't want to switch to ATT.  I love the Storm, but feel like I'm holding my breath til I have my first problem, and just hoping that all of the advice that I read here will keep it running well.

Contributor

parkernw....I have not set this relationship up with the Yahoo account and as such am unfamiliar with it.  I use both a yahoo & gmail email account on my phone but chose the gmail calendar sync as i believed that yahoo does not offer a wireless sync option with the BB & Outlook.  I may me mistaken.  I'll look into it when able.  One thing you could do is set up a gmail account and have both accounts on your BB & Outlook.  You can use the BB calendar under you gmail as the primary calendar and do the google calendar sync as previoulsy described.  You'll still get your yahoo emails to your BB as you currently do.  Your Outlook & BB will 2 way sync with the Google calendar sync wirelessly.  Just a thought in case yahoo does not have an OTA sync option such as offered by Google. 
Contributor

I am not able to find any mechanism by which you can do an OTA calendar sync with yahoo calendar.  Additionally, I didn't notice this on your first post but you went about setting it up with google sync all wrong.  This sync feature WILL NOT use the Desktop manager.  You woill need to download Google Canendar Sync to your PC and set up the 2 way sync between outlook on your PC & Google Calendar (http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955) .  Then download the sync client to your BB (http://www.google.com/mobile/default/sync.html).  This way you can get an OTA sync of your calendar (& contacts if desired) with your BB.  Make sure you deactivate the calendar sync on your DM (contacts if you use that option on Google). 

I hope that this helped.  Best of luck to you!

New Contributor

I will try that, although probably not for a few days .  But you are right, I didn't try that way at all...

Again, many thanks. 

Contributor

What I've concluded is checking into things is that through Yahoo! you can use Yahoo! AutoSync ONLY to sync your PC's Outlook Calendar with your Yahoo! calendar.  This will NOT sync with the BB calendar wirelessly.  I suppose if you wanted to stay with Yahoo! Calender you could access that via your BB Browser to view.  If you wanted it to wirelessly sync with the BB proper, this doesnt appear possible.  Yahoo! Go is often mentioned mentioned but again I don't think this actually syncs with the BB calendar - rather it appears to let you view your Yahoo calendar through the yahoo! Go program.  I would suggest this as another possible workaround, though the Google application does give a true wireless sync with the BB. 
New Contributor

woo-hoo!  I have them talking wirelessly using the google sync!  But it did bring up one question.  I often put things as all day events on Outlook.  These are transferring to google from Outlook, but I don't see them in my BB.  Maybe they are hiding somewhere, but I don't see them when I look in the BB calendar, even if I change the start of day to 12 am.  The ones that I had transferred using the DM via the USB are still there, but the ones that I have since put in Outlook, which did transfer to google, are not in the BB.  Is this something that isn't transferred in google sync?  Somehow, I doubt it.

For anyone else wanting to do this, it was quick and easy, just follow the links on munkeeboy's post above.  It took much longer to get some time to do it than to get it done.

Thanks munkeeboy for your help!