Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Fido

Wireless update??

I noticed on my phone yesterday that a Wireless Update icon appeared. When open it, it says "The wireless update process consists of three steps: requesting the new software, downloading the software, and then updating the software on your BlackBerry device." As I proceed and click next it says Available Updates and underneath it says Current version is 4.6.1.320 and then under Update to: 4.6.1.320 (4.2.0.138) When I click on the the update mentioned it brings me to another screen where I click next again but then it says Submitting Update Request. From here on, after moments of waiting it prompts me asking if I want to keep waiting. Nothing changes. Does anyone know how to fix this or what to do with this icon? Help is much appreciated, thank you!!

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wireless update??

Not knowing your carrier and the coverage you have I will fall back on a general comment.

I personally avoid the OTA capability to do an OS upgrade like avoiding a plague.  I do this for a number of reasons.

While you get the message and an Icon appears you DO NOT have to click it and upgrade OTA.  It is information only if you so choose.

The upgrade is large.  Most are in the neighborhood of 120+ mb.  Once the download starts there are too many possible things that can go awry.  An OTA upgrade doesn't leave you with a back up of what you had prior to the upgrade.  It does an "in device" upgrade but that is a dynamic back up and is gone once the upgrade is complete.  In my opinion that alone is a deal breaker.  Before I upgrade OS I always back up using DTM, ALWAYS.  That is in addition to my regular Mon/Wed/Fri backups.  I also back up before I download any new application and again after the download.  There is nothing like having recent up to date back ups.  With OTA OS download and install you are left in the breeze should something go awry.

I, for example saw the incon for my 9550's .607 being available.  I used that as "advise" only and went and downloaded the file to my PC and installed it from there.

For reasons known but to Verizon, my primary residence although in a major market area (San Francisco Bay area), has some coverage gaps/shortfalls.  I get about two bars at the house.  I am not trusting a 125mb download to a two bar connection, with no positive back up should disaster strike.

You can all to readily find you carriers download on the PC using a google search.  Upgrading from the PC is easy, more secure and gives you an out should something happening.

All of the above is personal opinion and you can take it for what it is worth.

I tinker with my 9550 all the time in the quest for that "perfect" OS and while I await OS 6.0 (looks awesome) I shall probably install a new hybrid OS or two waiting for Verizon to release OS 6.0.xxx.

Any of the fine volunteer types can assist you in doing an upgrade by PC if you opt for that.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

The ONE and FIRST step the wireless update does not advise, which in my opinion is absolutely critical, if your own backup of the BlackBerry device via Desktop Manager > Backup.

Not doing so is like remodeling your home without first removing your kids and furniture.

What model device do you have? I missed it if you did say.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Fido

The Blackberry Curve 8520

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8500-series-discussion-gemini/223862-latest-os-8520-5-0-0-10...

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code