Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Wirelessly Sync with Your Google Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar?

I just read the email from Blackberry about how I can now have two-way sync between my Gmail account on my BB and the BIS to sync Gmail, Calendar and Contacts. 

Just a couple of questions: 

1) When I follow the setup instructions, it only has a check box to sync Contacts.  Does this mean that Mail and Calendar are auto-synced?  The mail has always been instantaneous (it arrives in my Gmail and then shortly after arrives on my BB).  I'm going to assume the Calendar will work the same?  For clarification, I don't use the Gmail Plug-in... I have my gmail.com address setup through BIS. 

Messages that I read or delete (choosing Mailbox & Handeld) on my BB seem to be carrying over and working the same on my Gmail inbox.  That's great!

2)  My wife and I use our Google Calendars to keep up with each other's schedules, will events on her calendar appear on my BB?  Or only in Google?  With Google Sync, I was able to see events that she added to her calendar on my BB and in Google Calendar.  I'd like to keep that functionality. 

I had Google Sync installed, but uninstalled it today because I figured it would interfere with the new BIS sync.  I've added an event to my BB calendar, but it has yet to appear on my Google Calendar.  I've also added an event to my Google Calendar and it hasn't appeared on my BB calendar.

3)  My Contact sync happened and now I have 3 entries for the same contact on my BB. 

I can't seem to find any other info about these new features...  has anyone else tried it?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Wirelessly Sync with Your Google Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar?

Some of those features are part of BIS 3.2, which is not integrated in North American -- yet.

So, you may not see a difference ON those features.

More here:  http://www.berryreview.com/2010/09/20/blackberry-internet-service-bis-3-2-rolling-out-with-google-ca...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I

JSanders wrote:

Some of those features are part of BIS 3.2, which is not integrated in North American -- yet.

Why would I receive the email notification about it if it hasn't been integrated fully here in the US?  

Ater a day of using it, the Gmail and Contacts seem to be functioning just as advertised.  The Calendar is the only part of this new BIS 3.2 that doesn't seem to be working for me.  

Here's the link that was included in the email I received.  I doesn't mention anything about only being rolled out to Australia or any other area.  

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Kent, the two way gmail sync for delete/read messages and the contacts has been enabled for several months, since BIS 3.1 was enabled, I think back in June or so.

The gmail calendar sync comes with BIS 3.2, which is not available in the US or North America yet, but will be in a couple of weeks. BIS 3.2 hit Europe last night (early this AM).

I'm not surprised the linked announced doesn't mention the roll-out, RIM never puts dates and specifics on those things.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Forums Advisor I

I was happy to see that I had the Calendar Sync option in my BIS options today.  And it is pretty cool to be able to change/add an event on my BB and have it automatically update on my Google Calendar and vice versa. 

However, the biggest issue for me now is that my wife also uses Google Calendar and we have shared our calendars so that we can both see what the other's schedule is.  The new BIS Calendar Sync only works with my Gmail calendar and not any of the other calendars I can view with the Google Calendar. 

Google Sync has options to allow you to choose which of the Google calendars you wanted to view/sync on your BB.  So, I would opt to sync mine and my wife's.  With BIS Sync, I can't see any of my wife's entries on my BB, so if a client asks if I'm available for a specific day/time I can't look at my BB to check for potential conflicts with my wife's schedule. 

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get both my wife's calendar and mine viewable on my BB calendar with the BIS Sync?  Otherwise, I'm afraid we'll just have to stick to Google Sync.