Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Won't turn on

Just today, my blackberry switched its self off. I thought it was the battery that had gone but it has been in charge for 3 hours, no luck. It's not a year old yet and there hasn't been any bad damage for example dropped in water. No reason for it to turn off. Anyone know what's wrong?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Won't turn on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

This has happened again. I've tried the first one, not worked. Nothing's coming on the screen no light, led not even coming on
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hello..."first one"...as in the 4h15m process? If so, then you should move to the 2nd one (Battery swap).

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: virgin

yep got same problem with mine less than a year old phone wont turn on brought new battery phone started to load then after a few minutes went off plugged charger in red light then 10 seconds later nothing again grrrr 

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

spiderweb21 wrote:

yep got same problem with mine less than a year old phone wont turn on brought new battery phone started to load then after a few minutes went off plugged charger in red light then 10 seconds later nothing again grrrr 

Hence the reason I recommend testing with a "known good" battery..."new" does not necessarily meet that condition. The fastest (and least expensive) method to try the test is to find someone with an identical BB/battery...trade batteries and see what happens. Then one can know if they should spend on a new battery or not.

Given what you describe, I instead recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

It is also completely possible that your BB itself has a hardware issue (defect, damage, fault, etc.)...in which case no amount of internet distance diagnostics nor OS/software fixes will be of use. Rather, only in-hand evaluation by a qualified BB hardware technician can give a proper evaluation and estimate.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: virgin

it seems strange to me that theres alot of people on here with same problem as mine mainly just over or less than a year old and there just turning off and no matter wot u do they wont turn on maybe its a fault with blackberry and maybe they should be sorting this theres phone when new cost 400 pounds and a year later they just stop working seems like something aint right Man Frustrated

Hall of Famer III

spiderweb21 wrote:

it seems strange to me that theres alot of people on here with same problem as mine 

There is no way to judge the severity of an issue based on posts here. Typically, we only hear from those who have issues here...but never from the thousands who don't experience the same.

spiderweb21 wrote:

maybe its a fault with blackberry and maybe they should be sorting this theres phone when new cost 400 pounds and a year later they just stop working seems like something aint right 

Maybe you are correct...but this site is not a formal channel for working with BlackBerry for anything. If indeed there is an issue, each user who purchases via the authorized channel has some sort of warranty that they need to be using...and that is not done by posting here. Rather, it is done by seeking support from their specific warranty-providing entity, whatever that is (it is unique for each individual, determined at the time of original purchase). So, if you feel that this is the case, then you as well need to seek formal support under the terms of your specific warranty. That is the only method to report issues formally so that they can receive the type of attention you are suggesting should be given.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Another fully charged battery wouldn't work in my phone. My battery was put in another phone and it was dead even though it had been on charge for ages, I charged the other phone and it worked fine.
New Contributor

I've contacted O2 they are taking it in to be looked at as they think it is a manufacture fault.