Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 and Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Word docs

I have just changed from Palm to Blackberry.  I have a folder on the Palm with dozens of words documents which hold all my personal details, info etc.  I don't know how to transfer these word docs to my Blackberry and would appreciate some help.  Also whilst here, can anyone recommend an e-bookreader for my Blackberry?  Thanks
@SillohZil on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Word docs

Hello,

you can move the folder onto the media card of the BlackBerry; from your device you can open the Word files by using Documents to Go (it comes with the OS 4.5).

What OS do you use?

If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

First, you'll want to get a Micro SD Card to store your documents. The maximum size supported is dependant on the version OS you're running. You can find this under Options --> About. The version OS your device is running is usually the third line down and listed as v4.x.y.z. As documented here, the maximum SD size supported is:

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 - Up to 2 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 - Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 - Up to 4 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 - Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 - Up to 8 GB
BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 - Up to 16 GB

Copy the documents onto your computer, then use Mass Storage Mode to copy them to your SD Card.

If you're running OS 4.5 or higher, a light version of Docs to Go is included with the OS and you won't need any extra software. If not, try BBNotePad which is a free text editor. If that doesn't do it, you may want to try the commercial version of Docs to Go.

The only ebook reader I'm aware of is Mobipocket Reader. The eReader itself is free and available OTA (Over The Air installation) here: http://m.mobipocket.com/

Jerry
Trusted Contributor

Hi, I'm using 4.2.2.145 and don't have documents to go unfortunately. I did copy the files to the media card but on the phone could not see the same files.
@SillohZil on Twitter
Developer

What application do you use to view the folder? What do you mean by "not see the same files"?
If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)

I cannot see which programme on the blackberry to use to view word files on the media card.  It only shows, pictures, music, video or ringtones.
@SillohZil on Twitter
Developer

As said in my first post and as explained by JerryD, only OS 4.5 has the Document-Viewer called "Docs to Go" in the system. Please update your OS to 4.5 to get this light-version of "Documents to Go".

You can also buy the full version of "Documents to Go" at www.dataviz.com. 

Thanks, so can you tell me how and where I upgrade?
@SillohZil on Twitter
Developer

Go to your carriers website and look for the BlackBerry OS Update Downloads.

My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

elizabethh wrote:
Thanks, so can you tell me how and where I upgrade?

hello,

you can upgrade to 4.3 or 4.5. Please read ahead :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=6807&jump=true

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: