Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Word wrap. STILL not working after 5 months!!!

The issue is that the Blackberry 8900 WILL NOT wrap text in any text box using the BBB (Blackberry Browser).

Even if the text box is very large (vertically), as you type text, it just continues in one long line. If you wanna go back and edit or look at what you've typed, good luck! You have to scroll left and right with the trackball....if you accidentally scroll "out of the line", it will jump either out of the text box completely, or to the beginning or end of the text. At which point you have to start over again and try to get to your edit point without driving yourself completely insane. This is VERY FRUSTRATING!

This issue is not limited to just my phone. I have had two 8900's with the exact same problem. I held my tongue for months, figuring a fix was just around the corner. I updated all my apps today...Desktop manager gave me os 4.6.1.114 ...still not fixed!!! I've heard from other people who've installed leaked versions of other 4.6 OS'es that NONE of them address this problem. There are rumors that it's fixed in OS 5.0 ....which probably won't see an official release for another 3-4 months at least!

At this point, I'm not even asking RIM to fix the problem.....maybe they have already fixed it in 5.0 ....maybe they are just completely ignoring it and giving everyone the shaft.....i don't really care at this point. I usually type my text in an email or SMS text message box and then copy and paste it into the browser when I'm done. It's a lame work around, but it works.

I just wanted to express my disappointment. The 8900 is an otherwise great product and I've been otherwise very happy with it, and RIM as a company. This is just ridiculous though. How does it take SIX MONTHS (in reality probably close to a year) to simply add a word-wrap feature to the BBB?!? Seriously?!?! I mean, every other frikkin two-bit, free-download, crappy app in the app store has no problem with word-wrapping. It's been standard on every app released since microsoft q-basic.....I mean, really guys? Seriously?!

</end rant>

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Word wrap. STILL not working after 5 months!!!

Googling for "minimal java browser" turns up one open-source alternative and one commercial alternative that appears to be in open beta.

The installation process for third-party applications is detailed, in several different variants, in tutorial A70 - How to Deploy and Distribute Applications.

I have not personally attempted this process, but would be interested in trying it out for experience's sake.

-Chris