Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Yahoo Email HACKED via having logged in from my Blackberry

My Yahoo Email account becomes hacked and password compromised anytime that I use my Blackberry to log into my Yahoo Email by going to the Blackberry web browser, then my.yahoo.com, and then logging in.

After the hacking I will use a computer to go to Yahoo Email and change the password.  The hacking will then stop.  Then if I use my Blackberry to login to Yahoo Email via the Blackberry web browser then the account becomes hacked again within minutes.   I have isolated the hacking to the Blackberry as I only use my personal computer and the Blackberry to login.  I will go weeks without a hacking incident but once I use my Blackberry to login to Yahoo Email the account shows logins from Canada within 5-30 minutes and then within 12 hours the spam emails start getting sent from my account.

I can view the locations of logins to my Yahoo Email and they are typically from Canada when the hacking occurs.  After this hacker has gained access to my account then they start sending spam from my email to all of my contacts for a link to buy some sort of berry supplement.

How is this hacking happening through my Blackberry?  Is there a virus on the device?  

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Limited Edition Z10, BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Idea

Re: Yahoo Email HACKED via having logged in from my Blackberry

You can enable Second Sign-In Verification to prevent hacking.

Also on your mobile device via your yahoo mail go to settings and see if there is something called Secure Login. If it is there and hasn't been enabled yet, enable it.

Hope it helps you.

Click on Like Button if I helped you. Accept As SolutionIf my response solved your problem.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Yours would be THE first with a virus... so let's knock that out.

What's happing is there is a plethora of spammers and "bot" spammers out there which do nothing but find active Yahoo email accounts and "fake" the email "sent" from ID from those "bot" spam machines. They don't know your password. It just sees an active email account, and makes it appear your account is sending those emails.

They don't have to have your account password. No hacking. Just simple tom-foolery.

The first answer in this link explains it well: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100211140157AAgNJlA

This link explains it also:  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/50200

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I have Second Sign In Verification with Yahoo Email and somehow the Hackers Bypass this.  I asked Yahoo how this is possible and getting help or answers from their customer service is imossible and all you receive is canned responses that do not answer the question.

Also I do not use a Yahoo Email application on my Blackberry.  I simply use the web browser on my Blackberry and go to the URL my.yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com and login.  I only would check Yahoo email occasionally on my Blackberry but will no longer do so because of the hacking.

New Contributor

This is NOT a bot spammer.  They are indeed hacking my account.

After I use my Blackberry to login to Yahoo Email via the Blackberry web brower then if I check 'recent sign in activity' in Yahoo Email using my computer I then see a login from Canada occuring multiple times at all hours of the day and middle of the night that begins occuring within 30 minutes of having used the Blackberry to access Yahoo Email.  

This only happens right after I use my Blackberry to check Yahoo Email and it stops once I change the password and do not use the Blackberry to access Yahoo Mail again.  Somehow they are definitely accessing my Yahoo Email password via my Blackberry and also are able to bypass the Secure Second Sign In feature of Yahoo where it sends a code to your mobile device if it does not recognize the computer signing in.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Limited Edition Z10, BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Idea

I would then suggest you to use a strong password a combination of alphabets, numbers, special characters, something very tough to decode.

Also enable SSL on your yahoo mail if it is not enabled. It is disabled by default. To enable it, from the mobile site go to mail options and where you'll find a " Turn On SSL " checkbox.

Also if there is a list of trusted device linked with your Yahoo mail account remove them.

And at last change your password more frequently.

Click on Like Button if I helped you. Accept As SolutionIf my response solved your problem.

trade784 wrote:

This is NOT a bot spammer.  They are indeed hacking my account.

Sure.

Well, they certainly aren't hacking your BlackBerry. IF you continue to fear someone is, place a security password on your BlackBerry.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: blackberry1
My Carrier: free

hi pepol!  this is a cut and paste of what i put on me facebook this morning!

wat r blackberry playing at?

very weird one today .. someones repeatedly hacked into girlfriends email and not changed or dun anything so I looked up the ip address and it turned out to be the blackberry companys London office! so I called em up and asked why there employes wanted to hack a private yahoo email
so they stonewalld me , told me to complain to yahoo! I said yahoo arnt responsible for your employes you are so they hung up!! wtf is that all about?

lol, no BlackBerry employees are trying to hack your Yahoo email.

It's BlackBerry mail servers trying to deliver email.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: blackberry1
My Carrier: free

dont make no sense!! why dont they send em like everyone else insteada accesing a private email account?