Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

You can keep your CrippledBerry

I bought a BlackBerry Bold 9700 yesterday thinking that BlackBerry had evolved enough to be selling consumer phones. Not business oriented, I opted out from a data plan as I did not have the need. Besides the phone has wifi so why would I need a data plan anyways? However, what I got was a crippled BlackBerry. Can't access half of the functions of the device and cannot access the App World. The browser itself is slow and mediocre for a device that is designed to be lighting fast and top of the line.

I understand that BlackBerry makes money of the data plans from the service providers and thus has crippled the device unless I buy the data plan. This is just plain greed on BlackBerry's part.  What is the point of having a Wifi network if I can't use it to the fullest extent (see App World)? Even though I paid for your device I am treated like an inferior cstomer. This is worse than what Apple does (and atleast you can jailbreak the iPhone and get full funtionality out of it).

Well it was my mistake buying the Bold 9700 thinking that I was supporting a Canadian company. I will be doing my part as a consumer in a capatalist society and returning this CrippledBerry today. You can keep it along with your data plan RIM

Bye bye BlackBerry!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: You can keep your CrippledBerry

While you have recognized your error and chosen your path, I want to clarify a couple of things that perhaps others who happen upon your post might interpret perhaps not quite accurately...

1) RIM sells no services...the carriers are in complete control. They have chosen the method of selling the services, which yes include requiring a certain level of service from them (at whatever fee their market can bear) in order to use the enhanced BB services that are available. They (the carriers) are hosting and providing services that are specific to BB usage and not useful for any non-BB devices on their network -- you want to use those for free?

2) If you were hoping that RIM will see your message -- you should be aware that these forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what you have written. However, if you have specific and constructive ideas for them, I have heard that they accept such via email to bbsuggestions@rim.com.

3) Front line support for BB's is, by contract, not provided by RIM...nor these forums... The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for front line formal support to end users.

OK...that's enough...hopefully others who happen upon this thread will have a less biased understanding of how things work...and be therefore able to do their homework before procuring and then make a more informed decision.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................