Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Wind

Z10 Question/Concern

Dear Blackberry,

With the BB 9700 I have the option of OS 5 and OS 6. Since I do not invest in a data plan that will never pay its return, the process of updating the OS was incredibly difficult and required many loops to jump through. With OS 6 and everything subsequently I noticed the loss of the one key feature that matters to me (aside from texting and call of course!), that feature was a WiFi browser.

With my BB 9700 I am forced to use an out-dated operating system in order to have a browser I can be certain will not cause me to receive data charges on. This is because With OS 5 you have the option of <CARRIER> browser and HotSpot Browser. With OS 6 the system tries to determine what to use. Unfortunately this means if you lose your WiFi signal and continue to browse, you automatically gain service charges. I do not like or agree with this change and it will be the make or break for the next phone I purchase. 

So to you BlackBerry I ask my $600 question:

With your BlackBerry Z10, do you have an option to choose how you are browsing the internet. That is, can you decide to browse the internet using your WiFi connection, and should that connection fail to exist and/or fail during browsing, does the phone stop browsing, regardless of your network signal?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Z10 Question/Concern

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off -- this site is not a channel for any formal communications with, escalations to, nor support from BlackBerry for anything whatsoever. Rather, it is a user-to-user channel of folks trying to help out other kind souls to the best of their abilities. So, whatever answers you get, you cannot consider them to be 100% authoritative and "from" BlackBerry -- rather, they are the information gathered by the kind volunteers who spend time here trying to help out others.

That said, there is a key difference between BB10 devices and prior. Prior devices required, for full services, a full BIS-level data plan from the carrier. Some carriers would allow a voice-only plan on BBs, others required minimal generic data plans, still others required full BIS plans. In some configurations, some carriers indeed would charge the user for data usage in certain circumstances (yours among them, apparently). But, BIS is no longer relevant for BB10 devices...generic data plans are all that is needed, just like all other mobile devices.

That said, the setting you seek does not exist. If you have a data plan from your carrier, it will not need to be a BIS level plan, and therefore should not incur anything surprising even if the carrier data network is used as the transport channel. If there is only a voice-only plan on the BB, I'm not quite sure what will happen...my guess would be that the carrier data network would actually refuse the traffic, forcing the device to use WiFi if available, and failing the request entirely if not available. But, I know of no one with such a configuration to provide such a test at this time.

In any event, it will continue to be up to the carriers to decide how to price their plans for the new devices...and all of that is still at present "emerging".

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I think you missed the scope of my question.

I am not concerned about how my carrier manages BlackBerry's. I am not concerned about how the data is charged. I am not concerned with how the data is managed. I frankly do not care about anything to do with data. Though I must thank you for your very well put explanations, off the mark or not.

Ironically however, data is still involved with my question. I am -only- concerned with having the ability to prevent my potential BlackBerry Z10 (or Q10) from having any communication whatsoever with the network in regards to data.

Why? Because I have no use for BBM, APPs, video calling, video streaming, or facts finding, when using a cellphone. I have a cellphone for calling, and texting. I have a smartphone, particularily a BlackBerry because for me, it is like a bow tie, it looks stylish but not many other people have one.

So to reiterate my question:

Does the Z10 have the ability to prevent itself from using data when using the web browser? That is, if I open the browser with network coverage and no WiFi signal, do I have 100% assurance that the browser will simply not function? If so, how do I have this assurance?

For more background information (which is irrelevant) my carrier is WINDmobile in Canada. I do not require a data plan, nor do I want one. As with all carriers (in Canada anyway) you have pay-as-you-go data whether you like it or not. The final point of control needs to be in my hands, not theirs, so I do not have to deal with Customer Service about incorrect data usage. THAT is why it is such an important aspect for me. If I cannot control my phone and its interaction with the data associated with internet usage, then any change of phone will be considered a downgrade, and I will remain a BB 9700 user.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I didn't miss a thing...but others may read this thread and want the additional data. This site is not a "help desk" for one person to get one answer. It is more like a "knowledge base" where folks can search and find the answers they need (hopefully prior to posting). As such, the information is useful perhaps not to you, but perhaps you'd be courteous enough to grant those other equally "in need" folks the chance to obtain what they also need.

In any event...I did answer your question. I said "the setting you seek does not exist.". Is that not clear enough?

Frankly, for your stated needs, a BB is overkill, and introduces complexities such as the one you are experiencing, that other devices perhaps do not introduce. But all billing is a matter between the end user and their carrier...so only they can tell you with 100% surety what will happen under any specific set of circumstances.

Good luck.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Your responses are convoluted with rambled jargon not pertinent to the questioned asked. I.e. Off topic.

I am one person, asking one question for one answer (but I'm not wearing one ring)... And others could benefit from that one answer if it were clear and concise, and not be turned off by an essay of a post to what should be an "I do not believe/know/think such a setting exists." Or "yes that setting exists by opening the browser, going to settings and selecting hotspot under browser configuration."

Your input has been most unhelpful due to your inability to remain concise, and therefore I do not trust your knowledge.
New Contributor

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9700-f146/how-do-i-switch-hotspot-browser-375894/

Here is an example of a question, with a concise answer (correct or not) which can help many people quickly. I do not know how you have such a reputation on the forums as a hall of famer... Throw enough seeds around and something is bound to grow I guess.
Hall of Famer III

Your original question was not, in your own words, concise...it contained it's own ramblings within; I believed it required clarification in order to be properly understood. I am sorry that providing such information has so offended you.

All of your posts have not been without their own tone of vitriol (which I try very hard to not mimic), so perhaps you just have some ax to grind and just want to take it out on whoever passes by you. I'm happy to be that victim for you, if that is your need.

This site is not, and does not (at least for my participation) aspire to be, anything like CrackBerry. If you want CrackBerry style help, you know were to go and get it.

Good luck.