Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

alarm sound not working

I have used the alarm on my phone many times and now it works, but will not make a sound. I have the tone set and everything. Anyone ever run into this?
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8100 8300 8700 8800

Re: alarm sound not working

Strange questions to ask you, but, have you tried simply pulling the battery with the device on to reset it as well as have you tried a different tone as well to see what happens with the alarm?
New to a Blackberry? Check out http://www.discoverblackberry.com
New Contributor

Never strange questions! I had tried the different tone and that didn't work, but just tried the battery removal and it did work, so thank you. I hope it stays working though because I had gotten it to work a few times, and then every morning, nothing.

Hopefully I will not be back here tomorrow morning Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8100 8300 8700 8800

Glad to help, and not a bad thing to do when one has problems with a Blackberry, always startwith a battery pull, it does amazing things...

New to a Blackberry? Check out http://www.discoverblackberry.com

I have the same problem almost every other day.  I have emptied the log file, as one of the T-Mobile support people told me to.  I always have to pull the battery and then it works, but sometimes the next morning it does not go off again.

Why?  I do not need to miss work!

Contributor
My Device: z30 and z10

Hi, this problem is not solved. I've been using the phone alarm ever since I got the phone in august of 2008 without any problems until this week. I thought maybe it was me and that I was just very tired and didn't hear it. Not at all the case, one morning I saw the phone light up, asking me to snooze or dismess but with no sound, no vibration, nothing. Obviously the first thing I did was pull the batery (stupid me, didn't check to see if that fixed it) and the next morning still no go. Pulled it again, next morning, worked the first time no problems, but the snooze function did not! Pulled the battery again. Later that day I had a phone call come in and the phone did not ring!!! Pulled the bleeping battery again!! This morning, the **bleep** alarm still did not go off. I'm starting to get frustrated with this... these are basic functions on a phone. I have no idea if the fact that my phone didn't ring when I had an incoming call is related to the alarm not ringing, but something tells me it is...

I'm loosing faith in my phone, I use it heavily for work and the alarm gets me up for work, I feel as though I can't trust it now. Is anyone working on this at RIM? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michael

New Contributor

Same thing here recently with my 8130. I had loaded Pandora awhile back that seemed to mess randomly with media player and my alarm. Deleted that and tried Slacker Radio. Everything was okay for a few days, but then my alarm also went silent, though it came on the screen at the set time. So I've deleted Slacker Radio and reset my phone by pulling the battery again. I've tested it a few times this morning by setting the alarm for a minute ahead and, so far, so good. I suspect that not all the Blackberry Apps available via Blackberry's AppWorld site are as rock solid as they claim. If it's NOT that, then I sure as heck hope that this is not a recurring problem. I rely on my alarm alot.
New Contributor

Re: alarm sound not working AGAIN

Welllllll it is definitely Slacker Radio that was muting the alarm sound. I know because it was working fine after I had deleted Slacker Radio. So, thinking that maybe I had no installed the latest version of Slacker,I tried reloading Slacker Radio. Okay for a couple of hours then WHAM. When the alarm time arrived, the screen would show the alarm going off but NO sound. So I deleted Slacker Radio once again, rebooted the phone, and all is well. ???? I have a 4GB media card for the Slacker Files and enough free device memory to install Slacker Radio. So something is amiss. I have an updated OS on the 8130 and had installed the latest version of Slacker as well. Pandora had done the same thing. Something is not right with loading these apps onto my Pearl 8130.

I have joined this forum specifically for this reason.

I had my 8110 upgraded through the Blackberry Destop Manager, and got the associated new Media Player. I have found that ever since then my alarm doesnt work on occaisions.

Many of those using the phone to listen to music will notice that these also dont play when the alarm doesnt work.

I have found that turning the phone off doesnt work to reset it and need to pull the battery.

What I narrowed it down to I believe is using a non-Blackberry 3.5mm plug. I often plug it into my stereo to play music on its Aux, and listen to it with headphones not supplied with the phone. Both of these are the "two-ring" style 3.5mm plugs, and not the "3 ring" (information carrying) Blackberry 3.5mm plugs. I find when I use these it kills it, not every time - but I havent had an issue without using this.

Any ideas? Can I wind back the Media Player? (assuming it isnt an OS issue).

New Contributor

The alarm has been working okay now for several days since deleting/removing Slacker.

The earphone issue is interesting. I can't recall if I had any issues with using non-Blackberry earbuds. Lately I've been using the set that came with the Pearl and that also coincides with a reliable alarm.  

I had contacted Slacker Radio support about this issue since I would like to have that service on my Pearl. They sent me one link to a different release version of their software which wouldn't even run on my Pearl (I think it was a version for the Curve, duh) and then they responded to that problem with yet another version for me to try. So I may try that just to see what's up.