Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

'an error ocurred whie processing your request'

Hi,
I bought a Blackberry Curve 9300 and it has been deterioted for the past 6 months. Its latest shannanigan is now every so often it comes up with a box reading "an error has ocurred while processing your request".
I think it happens when I send or receive messages.
Please can someone help me? Is something bad happening?
Thanx
David
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: 'an error ocurred whie processing your request'

Hello!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

That said, since you've been experiencing this for such a long time, I am hopeful that you've already tried this, to no avail...but, if so, please then confirm. Also list out exactly all other things you've already tried...it is much more effective and efficient if we avoid redundant advice of things you've already attempted.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Well first the trackpad broke, and always runs around the screen without me doing anything (like when I'm typing which can be highly irritating!!) Also now whenever I try and reset it by taking the battery out or 'alt' 'shift' 'delete' the screen goes white and lingers like that for about 5 minutes. And just recently this error has come up often.
I only purchased the phone 6 months ago and have deleted all the apps and tried other methods to rectify this problem but to no avail. It is also very sluggish and the battery life is not as efficient as that of a Blackberry in full working order.
These persisting problems are making my Curve unusable!
Thanx
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

OK...then I recommend a clean OS reload...

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

Also:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Further, there is a variation on this that you might want to try...

1. Load the OS totally clean, with anything optional left off ("bare bones")
  2. If the behavior immediately presents, try a different (e.g., newer) OS level
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for perhaps a week -- long enough for you to be convinced that the behavior will not present
  4. Now add just one thing -- just one, no matter how tempting
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4
  6. Once the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded
  7. If the behavior does not re-present, then either the clean reload of Step 1 or the different OS of Step 2 cured it

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you can deduce a hardware level issue, for which warranty evaluation and service would be your next step. You would seek that from your original place of purchase, your mobile service provider, or an authorized service center -- it varies by region, but you should have received, at time of purchase, instructions as to your warranty coverage and execution methods.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Will I lose my BBM contacts? Is there any way to keep them
Hall of Famer III

In an OS reload, you lose everything...hence, backup/restore is also necessary:

• KB12487 How to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list
  • KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

The actual SmartPhone database backup/restore may be offered as part of the OS reload process...if so, do not defeat that (but, to be safe, take a full manual backup before and store that backup file safely on your computer).

For the BBM contacts, those are not necessarily part of the database backup...hence the separate procedure there. Whenever I do an OS reload, I always backup my BBM contacts to my Media Card before I start the reload process...and then, after the process is complete, restore them from that.

Good luck!

Contributor

if i do the OS restore with the media card in the device, surely the bbm backup will be lost as well?

Hall of Famer III

Nope...the media card is not touched during the OS reload process. You would have to initiate a media card format in order for the data on the media card to be affected...but the OS reload process itself does not touch the media card.

Of course, as part of your regular backup routines, you should be copying the contents of your media card (via Mass Storage Mode) to your PC for safety anyway...so doing an unscheduled copy of that after you backup your BBM contacts would be prudent as well.

Good luck!

Contributor

this whole os reload process seems very complicated, would a security wipe or a restore obtain the same results (without the media card being touched)?
Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

No...those are different processes. The Security wipe removes all 3rd party apps and all data, but leaves the OS intact (with any corruption likewise intact, if it's there). The restore only touches data, restoring it to the state it was when the backup was taken -- it likewise does not touch the OS itself.

• KB16307 Actions performed by the BlackBerry smartphone during the removal of stored user and application data