Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

any way to set an alert for high priority emails?

Hello,

Just got off the phone w/ Verizon tech support and was told you cannot, but I that seems odd, so here I am.

I have an end user who receives email alerts if certain system(s) go down who wants to have it so any email sent as urgent (high priority) will generate some sort of alarm, ringtone, sound etc...

Can't seem to get it so only high priority emails will do this; alerts will play for any incoming email, or no sound will play regardless of what arrives in the message folder.

Tried to create a new profile, edit the email/message settings etc... but no luck.

Is there a way to set it so only emails marked high priority/urgent will generate an alert?

Thanks,

Jim

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: any way to set an alert for high priority emails?

Yes, set the sending email address as a Level 1 email, which will receive a different notification, you set the notification in your Profile by editing the Level 1 notifications.

Instructions:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02459

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Go into your "Email Setup" or "Manage Internet Email" icon and login to your BIS page. 

Highlight the email address to edit. 

Click on Menu and select "Filters." 

Click on "Add Filter."

Name your Filter

Next to "Filter On:" select "High Priority email."

Check the radio button for "Forward messages to the device"

Check the box that says "Level 1 Notification."

Save the settings.

Then go to Profiles and under Messages give "Level 1" a different alert.  The Level 1 messages will come to the device in red, as well. 

Note:  If your BIS page on the device doesn't allow you to add filters then just follow the instructions above on your BIS page on the web. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

thanks - I'll offer an apology as I failed to mention that we're on a BES, not BIS.

It's only Tuesday, but it feels like a whole week has gone by already.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

To set the filter on your BES mail:

Then you do basically the same thing but go to Messages >Options >Email Filters.

Then hit menu and select "New."

Name the filter.

Next to "Importance" select "High."

Next to "Action" select "Forward."

Check the box next to "Forward with Level 1 Notification."

Then set  your profiles to give you a different alert for level 1.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

that seems to generate an alert for both regular and high priority emails - albeit different sounds.

I need (or the End User needs) an alert to play just for high priority emails.

Guru II

[ Edited ]

If the user doesn't want an alert for the other emails then have them mute the alert for their email address in Sounds or Profiles. 

This doesn't sound that complicated.  Am I missing something?

Contributor

got it - thanks. I needed to go into sounds/profiles, turn off any alert for "Messages (Desktop)" and then set "Level 1 messages" to play the alert.

Guru II

Exactly.  Personally, I set different vibes for different types of messages.  That allows me to know what just came in without ever removing from my pocket or holster.  You can do the same with the normal importance emails and the high importance emails.  The possibilities are endless!  Smiley Happy

Contributor

I don't think so :-)  The email alerts are emanating from a Sql server - so they're not coming from an individual where you can enter that name into the new filter that's created.  So I was leaving the "From" field in the filter blank. Once I entered in my name, made the adjustment I mentioned in the other post it worked.  I'll need to have him test it out with the address generated by the Sql alert.