Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 3g
My Carrier: Tmobile

application storage

i have only downloaded twitter and facebook apps for my curve 3g yet the application storage is decreasing everyday.

i have 256mb memory the applications take around 117mb other takes around 57mb but i cant access what other is?

what should i do?  

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: application storage

Hello,

The "other" is the BB OS itself plus all of the Core Applications that you may have chosen while installing your BB OS. The amount of Application Memory will also fluctuate all the time as applications utilize temporary storage for various purposes. Some times apps have memory leaks, just like other computing devices, where that temporarily used memory is not returned to the OS. A proper battery pull reboot (power ON, remove battery, wait, insert battery, wait) will return your AppMemory to the maximum that it can be.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

thanks for the information and the advice.

i will try the reboot and see what happens

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

If it turns out that your AppMemory continues to deplete yet you need the various apps you have installed, rebooting in this manner can become cumbersome (especially if you have a secondary case protecting your BB). In such cases, the free app QuickPull can simulate a battery pull without physically removing the battery (sometimes I do find that a true battery pull is required though). QP can also be configured to automatically perform the reboot -- say, for instance, in the middle of the night while you are asleep.

It is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press blackberry_logo.jpg and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Before I do the battery pull I have some questions as I have only brought the curve a fortnight ago,

will my bb contacts and files get affected  by the battery pull?

what should i do if the application storage memory doesnt change?

how long should i remove the battery for before inserting it back during the battery pull?

and finally how long does it take to reboot?

sorry for the questions Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

Naveed90 wrote:

will my bb contacts and files get affected  by the battery pull?

No, they should be fine. You should be doing regular backups to your PC, though...always prudent.

Naveed90 wrote:

what should i do if the application storage memory doesnt change?

The maximum capacity is not going to change...it is fixed. If the free AppMemory does not change, then that would be quite odd. It should increase right after a reboot, but it may continue to decline. If so, you must investigate everything more deeply. Perhaps your BB is on an older OS that has a memory leak. Perhaps you have some application(s) that has a memory leak. It is pretty difficult to diagnose such things at this internet distance.

Naveed90 wrote:

how long should i remove the battery for before inserting it back during the battery pull?

Typically a few seconds. It especially difficult situations, 5 minutes can help.

Naveed90 wrote:

and finally how long does it take to reboot?

Totally variable. Anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes for things to be totally settled down. It all depends on your BB model, your OS level, the apps you have, and how long it's been since you last reloaded your OS.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Hey thanks for the help

the app memory has gone back up to 80mb free  Smiley Happy

how often should i do the battery pull as it will most likely decrease again? 

Hall of Famer III

Naveed90 wrote:

Hey thanks for the help

You are most welcome!

Naveed90 wrote:

the app memory has gone back up to 80mb free  Smiley Happy

Excellent!

Naveed90 wrote:

how often should i do the battery pull as it will most likely decrease again? 

Impossible to say...every person's situation is unique. What I do is to just take a look at free AppMemory every so often and when it reaches what I've defined (for me, you may want something different) as the minimum free AppMemory, then I do a reboot. Some folks have discovered that rebooting every 24 hours is helpful...and there are even free apps that can help automate that on a schedule (say, for instance, while you sleep) by, with an app, simulating a batt pull without requiring the actual battery to be pulled. QuickPull has been good for me, and it's free.

Good luck!

New Contributor

thanks for the help.

just a quick question is it normal that the Blackberry messenger slows down?

i have sent a few messages and the sent icon comes up and i have waited like 2 hours until the delivered and read icons appear.

is this common?

Hall of Famer III

Common...a difficult question to answer, as it is 100% subjective. It happens, yes. But a lot? That would depend on your perspective. For instance, if the recipient of your message has turned their BB off, then a delay would be expected. So, it's really impossible to say for sure.

But, just to be sure, I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Let things settle down for perhaps 20 minutes. Then try again and see what happens.

Good luck!