Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: automatic reboot curve 9390

Oh! Now BIS is connected? And all you did was to turn off WiFi? That's odd...read on...

As for what to look at, no...it would be here:

• Manage Connections > Networks and Connections > Mobile Network

The "Data Services" selection there is what I was interested in. With the newer OS levels (including yours), it's actually a strange thing. If you set that (Data Services) to Off yet have WiFi ON, then BIS will report as "Not Connected" (in the Services Status screen) yet BIS-requiring services will actually still function via WiFi. With older OS levels, if you turned Data Services Off, then nothing that required BIS would work no matter what...and BIS still reported Not Connected, but in the older OS's that report was actually a little more accurate. So, IMHO, in the newer OS's, the report of the connection status for BIS is actually less accurate than it was for the older OS's (but, again, only in this rather unusual configuration). But, with the newer OS's, the ability to prevent any carrier data network usage is a little better than in the older OS's. So for the moment, it's a trade off...the key being knowing how it works so that you don't let yourself be confused by the potentially false "Not Connected" report from BIS.

As for your OS...7.1.0 is incomplete...there are 4 octets:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

And I've no idea what "it" is, as in "it says there are no update available"...if you mean your BB, then that's a report that should match what your carrier specifically supports. But there's very little actual reason to be restricted to just what your carrier supports...in my case, my carrier remains well back in the 7.0 level for my 9860 while others have moved well into the 7.1 level, so I use an OS package from a carrier other than my own, but the on-device update is therefore useless (and, btw, very dangerous and I NEVER recommend using that!). The best way to know what OS's are available for your specific model is via the official download portal:

It's sorted first by carrier, so it's a bit of a chore. But to help, at the top of most device forums on this site, there are sticky threads that will say what carriers support specific models...if your model is among those, then you can use that sticky thread to narrow down the carrier download portals you have to look at for other OS levels. Our good friend Xandrex has been unable to keep up with updating those sticky threads, so the OS's that he has listed are out of date, but the information about supporting carriers for your model should be most helpful indeed nonetheless.

Anyway...if you fell into what I said above about the potentially inaccurate display of BIS status, then that could well explain why some of your services were indeed working even though it said "Not Connected".

So, back to your core problem...refer to my prior post (9) above for some choices for you to make to try and root out the actual core of the issues you are having.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: curve 9380
My Carrier: Vodafone

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't get that Data Service before!

Data Service: on
While Roaming: on

And it was always setted like this, even with my old bb devices.

As for my software versione, it is

BlackBerry® 9380
smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
7.1 Bundle 1133 (v7.1.0.336, Piattaforma 9.32.0.88)
Bande 3G 1,4,8

When you say i should clean my OS 'bare bone' you mean I should delete all the third part apps I have and see if it works?
I will do few tentatives these days, and I if they won't work I'm trying to change the smarphone as it is stilo guaranteed. Is that agood idea or have you heard there are others curve 9380 acting like mine?
Contributor

I checked the software list at the link you gave me, and it seems I have the latest version installed... Since you are talking about updates depending on carrier, I wonder if my reboot problem may depend on the fact I'm using a branded TIM BB while my carrier is Vodafone it. (when I bought the phone they told me it didn't matter, sere they right or is it a huge problem that could cause this problem I have?)
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

beamire wrote:

When you say i should clean my OS 'bare bone' you mean I should delete all the third part apps I have and see if it works?

No no...removing thing has only to do with the first option I gave you up there...booting into Safe Mode, removing something, booting normal, seeing if the behavior persists, if so then removing something else, etc.

The second method starts with a clean OS reload, with anything optional left off. If the behavior does not present, then start adding things very slowly, leaving enough time between to determine if the behavior presents. 

beamire wrote:
Is that agood idea or have you heard there are others curve 9380 acting like mine?

I've basically "heard everything" here in these forums. At an internet distance, there is no possibility of providing you with any kind of firm diagnosis of your specific situation. Only a qualified technician, with the device in their hands, can do that.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

beamire wrote:
I checked the software list at the link you gave me, and it seems I have the latest version installed... Since you are talking about updates depending on carrier, I wonder if my reboot problem may depend on the fact I'm using a branded TIM BB while my carrier is Vodafone it. (when I bought the phone they told me it didn't matter, sere they right or is it a huge problem that could cause this problem I have?)

It does not matter. You can use any OS package from any carrier, as long as it's for your exact model number (as long as you use the proper trick of removing VENDOR.XML).

Highlighted
Contributor

Ok, then I will try what you suggested and hope it works Smiley Happy
Thank you very much for your help!