Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: battery life

> Also, I thought I would bring in the USB cable that came in the box into work so I could leave it there for data and charging, but by the looks of it it does not charge.

Sorry, at least I was wrong about that. the USB does  recharge aswell....

Andrew

New Contributor

awatkins1966 wrote:

> Also, I thought I would bring in the USB cable that came in the box into work so I could leave it there for data and charging, but by the looks of it it does not charge.

Sorry, at least I was wrong about that. the USB does  recharge aswell....

Andrew

It isnt the battery thats at fault, if you turn off your link to vodafone the battery will last for 15 days i would imagine,,,, not that it would be any use as a phone with the link turned off but it does prove the point that the Storm and its software are not to fault for the battery issues.

As for USB charging, whilst its a nice feature the fact of the matter is that the Storm should easily be able to last 3 - 5 days with ease...

regards

Gary

New Contributor

OK, Dont know if anyone is still reading this but ill give a status update anyway

after dissabling the Vodafone network and data I proved that the Storm is able to hold a charge and last for its advertised standby time.

To go one step further with this testing I decided to do 1 more test to further clarify what is causing the battery drain.  I have enabled the Vodafone network communication but turned OFF the data services.  approximately 12 hours later the Storm has now dropped from 95% charge to 10%.  I think we can safely assume from this result that the problem lies with the Mobile Network Transceiver (im not sure if this is the correct name for the bit that communicates with the Vodafone masts but thats what I mean).

I have to admit im suprised at this as I thought it would be the data services draining the battery, obviously not.  Anyway thats all for now, looks like ill be sending the Storm back Smiley Surprised(

Regards

Gary

New Contributor

Hi All

Sorry to be the bearer of similar news - but I have the same problem heere with the phone and battery life.  Ive been using it for 10-days and Im already fed up with the drain on the battery in a low use situation.  It wont survive a full day or two on the road when useage will be high, whereas the Pearl could hack it no problem.  RIM / Vodafone need to get to grips with this problem ASAP else I suspect we're going to see high return levels!!

As for the temp increases in the handset when in use, mine does the same which is totally bizarre - puts a whole new meaning to frying the brain when using a mobile!

Hope we get to see some improvements ASAP

Geoff

New Contributor

The even worse side of it is with my latest test it almost certainly rules out a software fault, proving that it is a hardware fault only means that we are gonna have to return the handsets to get them fixed / replaced and that wont happen until the issue has been investigated and resolved.....  We have 2 of these things and they both do the same so im guessing this is not an isolated incident (maybe theres just a lot of people keep there fone plugged in all the time, or are used to charging it twice a day hehe)

COME ON RIM!!!! GIVE US AN ANSWER<<< or at least acknowledge us gggrrrr

Regards

Gary

New Contributor

Re: Car Charger / Battery Life

I aslo forgot to mention in my previous post - its nice of RIM to give the Storm a re-designed power connector, as my old trust worthy car charger for the Pearl is no of no use when it comes to keepin the Storm sufficiently juiced-up for use!

Come on RIM / Vodafone how about passing out some comp car chargers for the Storm - its the least you could do to compensate us over this lousy battery issue?

New Contributor

Another new Storm user disturbed by battery life. Wow, what a disappointment. This is not what I expected at least based on previous Blackberry devices and the promotions of the new product. I've tried all the tips, short of turning off Verizon's Mobile network and like most of you cant make it to 5pm after a full night charge. And I would not consider myself a power-user. Then again I have had multiple problems with features and functions. Especially the browser and sim card. I have found that the battery seems to charge much faster with the USB than with the 115 volt transformer.
New Contributor

FYI - I spoke to Vodafone today and their customer service rep was in complete denial, not aware of any such problems - suggested I had a faulty phone which they would replace.  However after realising they didnt have any stock to send out (or maybe didnt want to send any more replacements out) I was told to go to my nearest shop where they would replace it for me on the spot - trick now is to find a shop with stock!! 

I also raised the issue of my Pearl car charger not being compatable with the Storm and it was pointed out to me that the Storm was new technology, so why would I expect a new technology phone to have old technology fittings!!  I then pointed out that if that was the case, it wouldnt be unreasonable to expect a battery capable of at least delivering power life similar to the old technology phones - a comment wasted on her as she then proceeded to direct me to the Vodafone www for the purchase of a new car charger!

So in summary just another step closer to sending the whole mess back to them!

New Contributor

Well I cant name names, but I have a very good friend of mine who works at Vodafone's Newbury Data Centre (i think thats what its called), his official job (very simplified) is to sit and monitor the data network's watching for faults, he is also charged with the testing of new phone's etc etc and one of his workmate's is involved with a daily conference call with RIM dealing with Blackberry Storm issues.

Needless to say, everything I have been posting here has been going back via that channel too, I'm still waiting on an official answer or solution but i can assure you that both Vodafone and RIM are aware of this issue and whilst may not admit to it being an issue to the general public, they do know there is an issue to be resolved.

It is for this reason and this reason alone that I have not as yet returned my Storm, hoping and praying for a fix or recall of the Storm, I can only urge anyone reading to have a little patience and see where this goes.  I do believe that it is just a teething problem that given a little time RIM will have sorted out.

Regards

Gary

Highlighted
Contributor

Very weird reading all these issues. My storm lasts at least a day and a half, normally two, from full to flat with a 3G connection and BIS & BES emails coming through. This is on Vodafone.