Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Re: battery life

Hooray ! Hooray ! It works, it works!  The OS Leak 0.75 works beautifully.  I'm on the Verizon Wireless network and I was having all the same battery troubles that everyone else here is having. 

Let me start from the beginning.  I got my Storm the Saturday before Thanksgiving and two days before traveling to my home town for a week.   Needless to say I was disappointed when the battery would die very quickly (4 to 8 hours).  I paid it no mind because I was vacationing and leaving the thing plugged in most of the day.  I thought it was because I was in a non Verizon area and it was not getting good digital reception.

Well, during my travel home I learned the extent of just how bad the battery discharge was going.  I was using my Storm throughout the day while at airports and such. It was fully charged at 10:00 am, and by the time I arrived home about 8 hours later, it just about died on my last call to meet up with my ride.  

Alright, cut to the chase.  I began researching the problem and found this thread.  I learned of the OS .75 leak mentioned earlier in this thread.  Here's the link again: http://www.ndnguyen.com/?p=552

I followed the instructions to the letter (MAKE THE BACKUP BEFORE YOU START) and viola, my Storm is working perfectly.  Not only did it fix the battery discharging issue, but it also fixed little nuances like the delayed "screen flip", camera turning on if you touch the keyboard too long, etc.  ITS GREAT!

I work at home and even though I'm at my computer most of the day, I have been carrying the Blackberry around with me and use if for email, chatting and some phone calls.

Note that I did also CHARGE IT FOR ABOUT 14 HOURS after the OS replacement.   I've been using it moderatly for the past three days and the battery at the end of the day is somewhere between 50% and 80%.

A final note: I'm just noticing that the statement "SIM Card Rejected" is appearing on the top of my screen.  I don't think that was there yesterday.  I'm not sure what that means.  I can still use the data services and make phone calls. I'm going to check into this.

Anyway,, Good Luck.  I"m pleased.

Slider 

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Update:  The "SIM Card Rejected" message has disappeared.  For a few mins, the usual signal strength display was replace with three red letters " SOS " and the Network Status under Options showed AT&T, although I am on Verizon.  I shut it down for two minutes, all appears OK for now.

Slider 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Well, for those in the UK on Vodafone...

Tonight (Sat, 6-Dec) I tried a synch and update check and went through a major upgrade from .65 to OS v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98). Note this isn't to .75, but to .78.

I say also 'major' upgrade as the machine wanted to go through it's initial use set-up Wizard on restarting. So if you're in the UK, I'd not use the leaked .75 release, but use the real .78.

As to how it will go, we'll see, although my experience is the battery seems to be getting better with cycling a few times as others have observed. As to 15 days though...

.../Iain

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

I am a UK user and also updated last night to .78. The update worked flawlessly. I am also finding that battery life has improved dramatically since I started a programme of long charges. The first long charge was 30 hours, and the second 24 hours.

It's early days for me, and battery life will depend how I use it. So far, I'm not complaining.  

It's not the battery! The phone is setup to default on the "Global Network". With this setting, it's always searching globally, so you'll need to switch it to your "local network" or the "1XEV" network. Once you change that, you'll see that your battery life is wonderful. Mine went from lasting a couple of hours to a couple of days on one charge. You'll get to this within the "Options" tab and I believe "Advanced Options" and/or "Network Options". Something like that. Hope that helps!

New Contributor

Did the update last night which took a while but worked fine and put all addresses, E-mail Accounts and Messages back where they should be. Battery has got better since longer charges and adjusting screen brightness down to 10. Will also check the network settings from the previous suggestion but it's certainly got better. Not as yet noticed any drastic changes since the update but early days yet.

Visitor

I have noticed that the AC Charger and the Storm get VERY hot during charging!!

New Contributor

Phoned Vodafone Customer Support today and have a new battery coming so it was worth the call even if the battery currenty in the phone seems to be improving so get your spare while you can F.O.C.

I experienced the same problem with my battery life too, this may somewhat turn into a story (so I apologies in advance) but I seem to have sorted it.   I bought the Storm last Friday, charged it up at work and played on it in the evening, set everything it, and it soon died, although I wasn’t surprised as it hadn’t had a full battery charge.    However, I am still on an old phone contract so I thought that I would give the Storm a good day and night charge so it was properly worn in. It was therefore charged over Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night. A pretty good charge if you ask me.   

Yesterday, I visited my girlfriend for the day, and trying to show her that she hadn’t been replaced by an electrical toy I put it to the side. I only used it when showing her what it could do and to read and respond to any messages I may have received. Quite minimal usage compared to my normal day. However, by 6pm the phone had 15% battery life left and by 7pm it was probably screaming at me to charge it up again.  

I then got home, and turned on the computer (mainly because I couldn’t use the Storm to do web searching anymore) and found that people were also having problems with their battery life too. Through various forums etc people were saying that it needed a few charges to get going, and to turn off Bluetooth when it wasn’t needed. Well, funnily enough, I had charged it for at least 36 hours, never had the Bluetooth on and hardly used it. Then, on this forum someone said about the Storm constantly streaming data bringing the battery life down, which was a good point, but which application and why?  

Which application you may be wondering, well, Vodafone’s very own Vodafone Live and Vodafone Music, which are constantly working to give new information and products and software to buy for the storm. So I  simply deleted them from the application menu in the settings, reset the device to completely wipe it off and then put it in the charger and went to sleep.   This morning I thought I would give it about the same amount of use as yesterday (Sunday) and see what would happen. It has currently been off the charger from 8am – present (10hours) and the battery stands at 90%. I have sent a few texts, taken some pictures, listened to some music, uploaded pictures and commented on people’s Facebook and had about 10 minutes in phone calls throughout the day. 

Sorry for the novel, but that is how I think it is being affected. Give it a try and delete those applications and see if it improves your battery life. I am again a happy Blackberry owner Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Sorry for my delay I was also hoping for a response from Blackberry too but it could be an indefinite amount of time.  So heres a quick recap.

I live in the US

I bought a storm before Thanskgiving and seen that I was having to recharge it a lot.

I bought an extra battery as a backup but hadnt charged it prior to other tests.

I had noticed that while the phone is turned off; 9hrs it drains like 25% battery power.

I finally charged up the extra battery up to 100% took battery out for 5 hours and put it back in and it still said 100%

I traded phones 1 week after getting the storm and thought new product wouldnt do the same; I was wrong.

Blackberry on my new phone had me erase the data and make it factory default, then I turned it off for 9hrs and had seen it didnt lose any battery power.

I set everything back up and saw it drain battery level again.

I erased data, did factory re install and took one set up one by one.

The issue???  It was my Bluetooth Headset all along.  If I enable my Bluetooth Headset and have it connected 24-7 but then turn off the unit my battery drains while being off.  I even tested it further that if I keep my Bluetooth connected 24-7 but keep my phone on it doesnt drain as much battery as it would if the unit was off.

So I have came to the conclusion of just disconnecting my Bluetooth headset before turning off the unit or just keep the unit on 24-7

I am a Verizon Customer and yes I did the update on December 6th and the problem still persisted.

So I have alerted Blackberry and am waiting a response but so far I havent, they told me today that Jabra (my model) wasnt on their compatibility list and that they never tested that specific model on my Blackberry Storm.

If I ever get any other news I'll let ya know.  Thanks.

PS I felt like I was beta testing the product for the last 2 week Smiley Sad