Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: blackberry curve 9380
My Carrier: Airtel

bbm contacts missing after OS upgrade

Hello All,

i just upgraded from OS 7.0 to 7.1 and once it was done, all my BBM contact were no longer available. i have logged into BBM world and since RIM says from OS 7.0 above have settings such as contacts associated with the blackberry ID, i though all my contacts will be there.

Why is this happening?, what am i doing wrong, i had to go and look for a backup i did a short while ago and i got some contacts back but why cant i get it all back if the blackberry ID association is supposed to work?

I upgraded from a 7.0 to 7.1 on a curve 9380.

why also does the blackberry protect application not backup BBM contacts????....frustrating if you ask me.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: bbm contacts missing after OS upgrade

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

To clarify -- your BB OS version is not relevant. What is relevant is your BBM version.

Since BBM7, your BBM contacts indeed are no longer stored locally but rather with your BB ID. When you updated to BBM7, you would have been offered the opportunity to ensure that your BBM contacts were properly migrated to BBM7.

As for backups, see the link in my auto-sig on this post for specifics as to how BBM contacts must be backed up (for BBM versions prior to 7)...it is a special method, and unless conducted properly, no BBM contact backup will exist.

If you have previously backed up your BBM contacts prior to upgrading to BBM7, then you could attempt to fall back to a prior BBM version and restore them. Then, conduct a proper BBM update to BBM7 so that they are then properly associated to your BBID.

I can't tell you what went wrong...I have nothing to look at to tell me for sure, and hence only guesses, which aren't really useful.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................