Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Pearl

bbm from us to canada

I have Pearl on Solo, regular service is in BC Canada. Going to Vegas in April. Is BBM still free to all my contacts while I'm there?

Also is there a way to get internet and patch it through to my laptop, or is that a question for Solo?

Thanks in advance

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: bbm from us to canada

Provided you have internet access on your device, using BBm will be free.

but when abroad, to get internet access you will need either to do roaming (meaning you access the internet through the local carrier that charges a lot to your own carrier, which then charges back to you) or buy a PAYG small subscription at a local carrier in the US (PAYG = pay as you go).

so overall using BBm in Vegas will cost you the same price as using emails on your BlackBerry device.

2) provided you have an internet access on your BlackBerry device, you can transform it into a modem for your PC. This action is called "tethering" and can be done using Desktop Software on your PC.

Beware : some carriers forbid tethering (but you can still do it). Some even forbid you to, and prevent you to unless you buy a special plan. If you do not want to pay that special plan, you then need a specific software named "Tether" to do that. Tether is expensive, but you buy it just once. So I believe it is used by people who frequently need to do tethering.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: