Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: starhub

blackberry 9780 keyboard backlight issue

hi everyone,

First of all, i would like to ask whether any of u ever experience or maybe notice that the keyboard of blackberry 9780 does not light up during start up (restart)? I notice mine didnt light up when i restart it just now. i wait and wait till the start up loading finished and it still does not light up. so, retried one more time. this time it doesnt light up too. however, when i closed the led part with my fingers, the keyboard suddenly light up. i know that the led has a sensor that react with light and control the keyboard backlight. i also know that the keyboard backlight will not light up if we use the phone in bright place. however, i would like to know if this also apply during the start up loading process. Please kindly give me some advice on this issue. thank u for helping.

moonbreaker

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: blackberry 9780 keyboard backlight issue

It appears to be working as designed, the device must sense a low light condition for the backlight to come on.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

thanks for the reply jsanders. the situation has changed now, i had tried couple times to restart outdoor and under brightly lit room. the keyboard backlight always stay on during start up loading process now. do u think this hardware issue? once again, thanks for the reply.

I don't think it is.

If you want to test if the keyboard backlighting works correctly or not, go to the Options icon > Status.

From the Status screen, on the keyboard type "test" (without the quote marks!).
You will see a Device Self Test Screen. Click the Menu Key and choose Start. You will a list of tests.

I think the keyboard lighting is in the Miscellaneous section, check it and click Menu > Run.

Do the test and see what the results are.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

i have done test 26 test out of 32. i passed 26 tests so far but right now i am stuck at icmp ping test. i dont know why it took so long.. furthermore, i dont even know what icmp is.. anyway, thanks for the advice jsanders.

New Contributor

i think i am going to get stuck at icmp ping test forever. it takes so long, is this kind of behavior normal? thank you.

No, I don't know why that one is taking so long, you could have only performed the one test for the Miscellaneous functions.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Grameenphone

I have purchased a new BB 9780 and I already have a similar issue with the backlighting:

1. The keys beside the trackball (send, menu, return, end) were flickering on and off. After i opened the battery casing and put it back on I noticed they are now permanently switched off. I restarted the phone but to no avail. The rest of the keypad is lighting up as per normal.

2. The screen backlight seems to work but it takes a little while for it to become brighter (what it should be normally). It seems that the way it lights up is a dimmed version and it only lights up brighter at will. (Not sure if this is some kind of sensor issue).

I have only had the bb for less than a week and i am in an area of the world where these phones are very rare so i am not sure where i can get it fixed here under warranty (I am in Bangladesh).

I am not sure how to run these tests on the device either.. tried typing "device test" and looked under status but there was no option to test the device. Maybe im looking in the wrong place? Help!