Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: blackberry daemon process help

It does not. Downloaded and installed 2.2.1 this morning.

iTunes respawning is exactly the same, which is to say it constantly respawns regardless of quitting iTunes directly or attempting to kill processes from the Terminal.

BB Desktop Software goes 100% CPU for a good 5-7 minutes on launch. BBDM CPU usage goes down to 2% in time.

RimAlbumArtDaemon still goes up to 70% CPU at the same time for a similar period of time, then settles to no less than 7%.

Memory consumption for both is off the charts: 650MB for BBDM, 1.1 GB for RimAlbumArtDaemon when I shut it down after 10 minutes. Because these processes constantly respawn iTunes, the total draw is something like 2.2GB of RAM and about 4 CPUs, the CPU consumption tapers to 2 after 10 minutes.

Media Sync is off for this device. There are no new switches in 2.2.1 to modify any behavior that is relevant to this problem.

I have an 8-core system with 16 GB RAM, so that the machine will tolerate this better than a two-core or four-core system with less RAM.

@BlackBerryHelp on Twitter today DM'ed me and the last response I have was to "advise contacting your service provider to have this issue escalated to Research in Motion for further investigation."

That's a very confusing response, seeing as how AT&T has absolutely nothing to do with this issue, and that I thought I *was* escalating the issue to RIM.

My immediate solution is uncheck the "Automatically launch when this device is connected button" in the BB DesktopManager s/w and to then open Terminal and use launchctl (as root) with the commands at the launchctl prompt:

stop com.rim.RimAlbumArtDaemon
remove com.rim.RimAlbumArtDaemon
stop com.rim.BBLaunchAgent
remove com.rim.BBLaunchAgent
stop com.BBDaemon
remove com.BBDaemon
quit

I only tried this as root within Terminal, but it should work as an admin user. You *must* reboot (at least once) in order for any of this to take effect.
New Contributor

Is there a RIM Admin here who is empowered to escalate issues up to the developers? Is the software engineering vended out or something? Trying to navigate through AT&T to get RIM's attention to something that's been rolling around for a month seems like a total waste of time and resources.
My Device: pearl 3g
My Carrier: Bouygues

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem! It is completely unacceptable to hijack my computer wih this **bleep**, and I can't turn it off....well in fact I can.....

Goodbye BlackBerry Desktop...uninstalled.

Goodbye blackberry....it was a piece of **bleep** anyway.... Especially after a three day service interruption....

@RIM Enjoy the your slide into irrelevance and bankruptcy.

Hello iPhone!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TMobile USA

tdilenarda:

Found your post while searching for a solution to the daemon wreaking havoc on my system, but wanted to tip my hat to your music collection. A-ha is such a great band!

-Leif

ps. I got my first iPhone last week, ditching my Bold 9700.

My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: U.S. Cellular

Please fix this, RIM! I like being able to reboot/shut down my computer normally.

Thank you.

My Device: 9850
My Carrier: Verizon

What a Busch league programming staff RIM must employ for Apple software.  The only solution to solve this problem is to 'completely uninstall it'?  How does this even make it our the door or pass the QC process?  This is the basic issue I have with RIM products - the lack of attention to details to make sure that the end user process is as integrated and painless as possible.  The RIM daemons constantly consuming 90% - 100% of processor time on a Mac is just so inexcusable.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Bush league is right. i don't even have my BB connected right now (it was replaced by an iPhone two weeks ago), and the BB Desktop Manager app isn't running, nor has it been launched in two weeks. And yet the RimAlbumArtDaemon process is still sucking my resources dry, currently using 43.8% of my processor. If I force quit the process it just comes back a few seconds later.

RIM, take note: this is one of the reasons you are losing market share. Your products are really starting to suck but you don't seem to care.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: 3

I recently found this process running on my laptop as well. i am on 10.6.8.

I had never seen it until i updated itunes. i have subsequently deleted my BlackBerry Desktop software.

any news on what this was? Or whether it will be fixed?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Deleting BB Desktop Software may not make this go away, you'll need to be familiar with using Terminal and the launchctl command to make sure that BBDaemon, RIMAlbumArtDaemon and BBLaunchAgent are all told to stop and then are deleted. You will have to do this separately while logged in as each user on your computer (if there's more than one) and you'll have to do it again as root if you have a root user enabled on your computer.

You will need to scan through the output of the `ps -ef`command on your computer to look for any processes for BBDaemon and BBLaunchAgent to be extra sure that they are not running. It's a pain.

These are functions that *should* be handled by the BB Uninstaller and are not because of some planning and coding practices by whoever has written this software and these installers that are just plain lazy.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

ok, so you are saying that periodically these processes will start up again, even after uninstalling the BB Desktop software using the uninstaller?

edit:

i did this - but did not find any processes

launchd% stop com.rim.RimAlbumArtDeamon
launchctl stop error: No such process
launchd% remove com.rim.RimAlbumArtDaemon
launchctl remove error: No such process

does that mean the files are gone or still there, do you think?