Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 8800
My Carrier: talktalk
Accepted Solution

blackberry data plan ?

I recently asked for advice on how to set up email on my blackberry 8800 in which it was suggested i ask my provider to enable the blackberry data plan (talktalk provider vodafone network) I am gratefull for the helpfull and quick response .However they have responded with all the information i need to set it up providing it is OS 5 or above. However it is 4.5.0 (I have done a software update through my computer desktop program so it is up to date). Therefore, they say that i need to get support from blackberry to enable the enterprise activation or data plan. I cannot see how to access blackberry directly for such support all their links are for help that doesn't cover my problem or allow me to talk to someone that can help. I really do hope someone can help me, or what i thought was a nice smartphone will be rendered useless and no more usefull than a £9.99 nokia.Eternally hopefull b.Croll

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: blackberry data plan ?

The reason it is so hard to contact BlackBerry directly is because, due to the nature of the support contracts to which everyone is bound, such is not allowed. Rather, the carriers can escalate cases via formal channels up to BlackBerry if such help is required, but the end user cannot bypass and go directly to BlackBerry (well, not for free). So, whoever gave you that advice was wrong...

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

But, from your description, I am not sure there is any hope for your old device...you will need to research via this portal:

You will need to

1. Find all carriers that support your specific model number BB
  2. Compare the OS levels for your device that they currently support

If any carrier has a package that is OS5, then you can use it...but if no carrier has such an OS5 package, then your BB simply is too old to be useful in this manner. The 8800 is pretty darn old (released in 2007), so I have no guidance for you as to which carriers to look at...you likely have to undertake the tedious process of looking at them all to see who supports it, if any.

If you do find an OS package from a carrier that will work according to the instructions you've been given (OS5), then we can provide you with instructions to install it to your BB.

However, keep in mind further that, even if you do find such an OS, if your specific carrier does not natively support your specific model number BB, then you will still have some significant challenges ahead of you. The carrier networks provide the necessary Registration (HRT) and Service Book entries to the BBs to enable them to function on their network. But, typically, the carrier system only does that for the specific model number BBs that their system supports...other model numbers must carry out a challenging process to extract, from a different BB, the necessary items so as to function on that carrier network. A significant challenge to overcome, with no guarantees of success.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 8800
My Carrier: talktalk

Re: blackberry data plan ?

Thank you so much for your advice unfortunately i signed up to a 12 month sim only contract and never had a clue that i would have so much trouble from such a reputable company as blackberry. For instance, although slow i can get internet and email on an old nokia brick i have.I don't understand why blackberry cannot just update their software for download to allow it to operate like any other old gprs phone.There are still a lot of good condition 8800s out there and a lot of poor people wanting a cheap 'smartphone' .You live and learn!