Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

blackberry data plan

i reccently bought a blackberry on vodafone network and got it unlocked, i have downloaded the google maps app but cant get it to work. from what i have read on here i need a blackberry data plan ??? i have no idea what this is? or how to get 1? sorry if this is a silly question i have never had a blackberry or an unlocked phone before. any help much appreciated Ryan
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: blackberry data plan

Yes, you need a BlackBerry Data Plan from your carrier.

Call 02 and ask for the BlackBerry Data Plan for your account or tariff.

Without it, you have a nice device which will work for a WiFi-connected browser. No RIM push email or other applications which require the data plan.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

thanks for the quick reply, will the cost me anything? if so any idea  how much?
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

smith39 wrote:
thanks for the quick reply, will the cost me anything? if so any idea  how much?

Yes, it will... I don't know how much. It varies from carrier to carrier and country to country.

That is why I suggested you call 02

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: me

i have recently bought a blackberry curve 8520 . and i would like to use blackberry messenger ? what should i do to get it because it doesnt seem to work ? any help much appreciated amanda Smiley Happy

My Device: CURVE 8520 WHITE
My Carrier: SIMPLE MOBILE

I have the same problem too! I have simple mobile, the $50 plan! I can't use the BBM Or recieve picture mail. whats the issue?

My Device: RCG41GW

i can't seem to be able to use my blackberry messenger. i can add contacts but then don't get my request.. and they can add me, but i never get their request. does this have something to do with Blackberry Internet Service? and a Data Plan? let me know asap x

My Device: Blackberry bold 9700 white
My Carrier: o2

Are you on contract? If your not i'm sorry i don't know what the cost is, actually i don't think you can do data plan if you are on pay as you go!

But if you are on contract it's an extra £10 a month on o2, for all the things like blackberry messenger, facebook,twitter,AIM, google maps etc. On orange i think it's an extra £5 a month for all the same things. So say if you were on o2 and paying £15 a month to get the data plan you'd have to start paying £25 a month, and if you were on orange and payed £15 a month you'd have to start paying £20 a month.

Just get hold of your carrier (o2,orange) and get them to change your contract to a data plan!

i had the exact same problem with o2 but now everythings working fine!

Hope this helps!
My Device: storm 2
My Carrier: orange

Smiley Happy Hi, do you have to phone up (orange) to get the data plan or can you do it online?? 

---Thanks........

My Device: non user
My Carrier: non user

im saving up to bye a black berry curve 8520 i know i need a data plan iknow how much i "might" be 

but what i need to know i can i pay the data plan in 1 go like paye a them use bbm