Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9930
My Carrier: verizon

blackberry only allowing enterprise...HELP

Hey guys,

So i bought a blackberry off ebay and when i received it i realized that it had been previously used on a corporate account and came with an IT policy on it. I went through the steps of disabling the IT policy successfully but that still for some reason hasnt allowed the phone to do anything other than what the IT policy allowed when it was enabled. I also tried using crackutil with no success as each time i tried to get into crackutil, it told me the password was incorrect or my device was not connected (both of which arent true) -- i tried running as administrator, i dont have a password on my phone, the device was connected but i attempted disconnecting/reconnecting, i tried restarting the computer, i tried uninstalling crackutil restarting reinstalling crackutil restarting and trying again and still no success. Calls for help to verizon yielded no results as well so i am fresh out of ideas. anyone have anything that may FINALLY work???

I am using a blackberry bold 9930 on the verizon network. I currently have a Mac (but i did try using crackutil on my friends windows 7 home premium PC)

Thanks for any and all help!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: blackberry only allowing enterprise...HELP

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I have no idea what "crackutil" is (nor do I wish to, btw), but the official process for removing a latent IT Policy is this:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • KB18998 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

If you backup before and restore after, be careful and do not do a full restore...if you do, you will wind up right back where you started due to the IT Policy being included in one of the databases (see the reference via the link in my auto sig for details).

Now, as to if the IT Policy is on board or not, you've not clearly stated what your symptoms are. Based on what you've stated, I could conclude that your symptom is that, when you attempt to configure email, you are presented with only Enterprise as an option. If that indeed is your case, then it's not an IT Policy that is causing this...rather, it's not being properly registered to your carrier network and/or them not properly configuring a BIS account for your device.

Unfortunately, your report of "no results" from talking to VZW doesn't quite tell us enough to make any conclusions from that. For example, if the prior owner did not properly remove the device from some prior carrier BIS system, then VZW would not even be able to create a BIS account on their system. But, they should have been able to tell you that.

I also don't know if the VZW network natively supports the 9930 or not. If not, then their network won't automatically register your device on their network nor will it deliver the proper Service Books to your device so as to enable the BB-proprietary services (including having Personal/Internet added to the email device configuration wizard). But you need to ask them if their network will automatically support your specific device model.

It's also possible that your device is not unlocked from it's original carrier, and if that carrier is not VZW, then no services will work at all. You can usually tell if that's the case by being able to use voice-level services or not. You also can check this:

All in all, you have many issues to now investigate and/or clarify for us to be able to help you better.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9930
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks for your reply!

The 9930 that i have is indeed a verizon branded/original phone. It is not unlocked and i dont need it unlocked as i do in fact have verizon. When I spoke to Verizon, they checked and double checked (as per my insistance) that i do in fact have the appropriate data package on my account for the blackberry. I also spoke to blackberry directly who managed to resend me service books and all of that. I registered the host routing table and successfully received a message telling me my handheld device had been registered with the network. I know its not a network issue.

You are right though in what you said regarding the email... when i go to setup and click in email accounts to try to set up my email, it automatically enters enterprise activation versus asking me if it is internet email or enterprise so i never get the chance to select the appropriate option.

Any more ideas come to mind?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

decferr wrote:
I also spoke to blackberry directly who managed to resend me service books and all of that. I registered the host routing table and successfully received a message telling me my handheld device had been registered with the network. I know its not a network issue.

Technically, those are in the reverse order. The proper order is to register the HRT first, and then resend the Service Books.

decferr wrote:

You are right though in what you said regarding the email... when i go to setup and click in email accounts to try to set up my email, it automatically enters enterprise activation versus asking me if it is internet email or enterprise so i never get the chance to select the appropriate option.

Any more ideas come to mind?

Just to be 100% clear, when you enter the email setup wizard, it automatically begins the Enterprise Activation process, without ever presenting the screen for you to select it first? You are never presented with a screen for choosing your email configuration, even if that screen choice has only Enterprise on it? Rather, it starts the EA process all by itself?

If that is truly the case, then my deduction would be that some BES system, somewhere in the world, continues to have this BB configured into it. BES will "reach out" to try and re-activate devices that are configured to it whenever they attach to a network of any kind.

Given that, I'd deduce that this BB you purchased was never properly cleansed nor removed from some BES. Refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

Unfortunately, you have no ability to conduct the necessary SELLER steps, which are required prior to even attempting anything as BUYER.

I'd advise reviewing the eBay advertisement for specific information regarding the BBs ability to be properly used on VZW and being properly cleansed prior to sale. Then get in touch with the Seller to find out what they may be willing to do. If they are unwilling to do anything yet represented the BB in a manner contrary to that which it is, your recourse is filing a dispute via eBay.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................