Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin

blackberry protect

with the blackberry protect service set up on my handset, i understand from the vage help section on the protect web site that the handset has to be switched on and connected to the wireless network, dose the commands i send from the protect web site to track device, play sound, display a message, lock and wipe device are they dependent on my own sim card number being in my device or will they still be delivered if another person inserts a diffrent sim into my handset

from what ive worked out using my phone before i lost it is when ever ive done a battery pull i get no mobile network untill ive typed in my pin code, ive also got a phone lock code on the phone

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: blackberry protect

If the SIM card is switched, your Protect app will not located, wipe, backup, display a message, etc., as the device is not not connected to the BIS network. Same as if the battery were removed...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

If the SIM card is switched, your Protect app will not located, wipe, backup, display a message, etc., as the device is not not connected to the BIS network. Same as if the battery were removed...

thanks for your reply, blackberry protect is a good service but with that against it as that is what most people would do if they found or stolen a handset and that would probably make the protect app useless is there anyway of contacting the rim / blackberry and passing this info to them so a solution can be figured out to help takle this problem

To tackle what problem?

If the means of connecting to the device is severed, there is no solution.

Same as if you lost the device and it were only charged at say, 20%, and the battery died. You can't connect.

Most people "finding" a lost device , don't immediately remove the SIM card. Yes, that is common after being stolen.

You can contact RIM at www.blackberry.com/contact

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

To tackle what problem?

If the means of connecting to the device is severed, there is no solution.

Same as if you lost the device and it were only charged at say, 20%, and the battery died. You can't connect.

Most people "finding" a lost device , don't immediately remove the SIM card. Yes, that is common after being stolen.

You can contact RIM at www.blackberry.com/contact

the problem of the blackberry protect commands sent being non dependent upon the original number sim card only, say if another sim was inserted into the handset then the commands still being able to reach the device what ever network sim is inserted

Yea, but that would compromise the security of the service.

Say you sold me the device, I inserted a new SIM card, and you could still access the device to backup, block or wipe?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

Yea, but that would compromise the security of the service.

Say you sold me the device, I inserted a new SIM card, and you could still access the device to backup, block or wipe?

i didnt think about it that way, but it would be far better if the protection servive was non single sim number dependent ill have a think and see what way arround your point i can come up with

Even worse, me with your old device could access and download YOUR backed up Protect data!

Knowledge Base Updates