Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

blackberry storm and greek language

hello, i just got a blackberry storm which also has the option of using the greek language. the problem is that when i type an sms in greek it is sent only in capital letters even if i type the text using the small ones. this thing happens only with the sms not with the mails. this thing doesn't happen when i type in english for example. if anyone knows the answer to this problem please let me know. thank you very much
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: blackberry storm and greek language

When you switch the input language how many "Greek language" options are available?

For example for english there are two options: English UK and English US.

New Contributor

only one. thank you but i don't think that this has something to do with this problem.
Developer

Try to ask your wireless carrier support about that.

If they cannot help - consider device OS update.

Check this link: Blackberry OS FAQ

There are instructions how to upgrade your Blackberry OS, and there are links to download necessary software.

New Contributor

my carrier can't help. it is also the latest version. thank you anyway for your help.
Developer

Unfortunately I have no idea how to overcome that.

Let's wait the next device OS update.

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Alexei19720 wrote:
hello, i just got a blackberry storm which also has the option of using the greek language. the problem is that when i type an sms in greek it is sent only in capital letters even if i type the text using the small ones. this thing happens only with the sms not with the mails. this thing doesn't happen when i type in english for example.
Hello,

you are a victim of the fact that.... SMS is small and not very evolved ! but it's the way it's designed.
when you use SMS you are only allowed to use some characters.
for western people it's mainly a subset of characters like +-%# and so on, of letters and of numbers.

that subset to be precise is encoded in 7_bit. the complete list of accepted characters for SMS is :
http://www.dreamfabric.com/sms/default_alphabet.html

BUT for special languages, another charset can be used (for chinese people for example). There is a setting in the SMS to change that, it may be available for you. I do not know the list of charsets available for you.

to change the SMS charset : home screen >> options >> SMS >> Data Coding

I'm using a french OS OS so the choices for me are :
  • 7 bit (subset of what is commonly called Latin-1 / ISO-8859-1 and Latin-9 / ISO-8859-15)
  • UCS2 (also named as UTF-16 that is a superset of UTF-8 that is used for basically any sign in any alphabet except maybe Klingon)

----> try setting it to UCS2.

caveat applies : the device of the receiver of the SMS must be compatible with that charset, otherwise they will not be able to read your message.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

Hello, i have the same problem.. When i send greeks in sms the receiver takes unknown characters!! I try to change encoding but nothing happened.. Any idea?
New Contributor

Is anyone there bought the blackberry from US and managed to write contact names, sms and emails  in greek?
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Re: blackberry storm and Greek language

Hi there.

I have the same problem. Did not have it with previous Blackberry handsets, but with this one (Bold 9700) I do. I've found that if I type in Greek but NOT put accents, (τόνους), it does not capitilise the message. Try that.

Tony