Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

GM1
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

blackberry uncaught exception

Hi All,

recently I've been getting the error code:

"blackberry uncaught exception: index -1 >= 16"

its either when I'm streaming media or watching a media file every so often.

I tried google but no luck, any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Re: blackberry uncaught exception

never found any info on this specific error or have i seen one. but most other  uncaught exception errors result in an appload

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Uncaught exceptions are basically an event for which there is no handler in the device programming code. It's like the program code reaches the end of the if/then statements but never results in a "true" condition, so the ultimate "out" is the error. There's pretty much nothing to do about it -- except for doing a full reboot of your device to make sure that the code that is running hasn't gotten corrupted from memory leaks and such. Do this:

With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.

This will reboot your device "cold" so that the programming code is fresh and clean...until the next time of course.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
GM1
Contributor

Hi All,

I really dont want to do a battery pull since it takes forever to load up

Any other solutions? Smiley Happy

I've attached a photo of the error code;

http://img181.imageshack.us/i/gm1.jpg/

Thanks

-GM

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

GM1 wrote:

Hi All,

I really dont want to do a battery pull since it takes forever to load up

Any other solutions? Smiley Happy

I've attached a photo of the error code;

http://img181.imageshack.us/i/gm1.jpg/

Thanks

-GM

Well, the only other solution would be to re-write the device code so that the particular error you are receiving is actually handled. And also to re-write the code so that all memory leaks are eliminated. And to make the OS perfect. Pretty much not going to happen, I'm thinking.

Like all computing devices, these suffer from memory leaks, application conflicts, and corruption of their stored procedures. A reboot clears that and puts everything back to fresh condition. Since you said that you recently started receiving this error, that tells me that something has gotten corrupted, leaked, or conflicted...and rebooting should clear it.

Now, if you actually meant to say something like "I recently installed xyz and now I'm getting this error", well, the recommended fix might actually be something different. But, even with that, I'm pretty sure that the recommendation would still include the reboot -- to clear out whatever the contamination is that was introduced.

BTW -- I do hope that you've decided to to the reboot already...since way more time has passed since you received that advice than it actually takes to perform it...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

it would almost take the same amount of time to reboot your device as it would to take a picture of the error, send it to your PC, and upload with the new post.

how many times do you reboot your PC at home or at work? If you dont do it there you should as well. bbs are just miniture PCs, they are not just a phone.

ALL electronics NEED to be rebooted from time to time. Think about if you never turned your TV off, what would happen? How about if you never turned your car(ignore what that would do to the environment but what it would do to the car itself)

I have setup so my device turns off every  night at 1:00 am and turns on by itself at 8:55am(so the alarm on the device can go off at 9:00am)

if you dont want to miss important stuff while u are sleeping, then tell it to turn off every night from 5am-5:10am, then when you wake up, its ready to go and it already had a reboot for the day, and chances are you arent going to miss much in that 10 minutes.

to set auto on and off go to options- auto on/off

GM1
Contributor

Hi All,

I usually do reboot every so often but reboot usually takes about 3-5minutes (I think its because I have 8 email accounts and a couple of applications)...

I think I might know why I'm getting these error codes... I think its due to Media Streaming or Opening a Media File via web or something like that? *Quite recently I can't seem to stream CNET TV on their mobile site anymore, are any of you experiencing this problem?

I got another error code the other day while browsing CNET TV and got --> Uncaught exception: Index 65540 > = 3863

I googled it and tried "uncheck the Full Screen option.and checking java script and still no luck...

Could these error codes berelated?

Thanks

-GM

GM1
Contributor

forgot to mention I'm currently using 8330 Curve + 4.5.0.77(101)
New Contributor

hello i have the same problem , uncaught exception 23 and 17, i already backup and restore and the uncaught exception still appears......

also sometimes the keys "e" and "r" sent without pressing enter, why this happens?

please give me some orientation

best regards

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: blackberry

blackberry uncaught exception

Hi all

i have blackberry 8520 and now i am facing app error 523 my mobile are not on it is always show reset button & app error 523 message. at a start time show one exception Uncaught Exception 14>=14 . how i fixed this problem please give me suggestion..

Thanks..