Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers Mobility
Accepted Solution

blank (white) screen on my 9700

My 9700 died on me.  The screen is blank, white, -  no icons, action or anything.

Suggestions

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: blank (white) screen on my 9700

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Tried the 4 1/2 hour plugged-in option, and no change.

I do not have access to another handset, or battery, so it will be difficult to try option #2.

I do not think it is the battery, as the phone was working without problem up until i took it out of my pocket, and the screen was white/blank.  I was unable to get any action, with any buttons.  Tried removing the battery, allowing for a "reset" and re-installing it. 

Is there a recommended service shop/agent in BC, Surrey, preferably where i could have the handset checked?

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Without running the battery swap test, it is impossible to know for certain if it's the device or the battery that is at fault. Batteries, like all things, do not last forever, and anything can go wrong at any time if the conditions are right. But, at an internet distance, it's really impossible to diagnose anything for sure...only by doing various tests can we guide you to try and root out a most likely cause, and thereby find a solution. Not running the battery swap test means we have inadequate information from which to formulate any deduction about what might be the problem.

We, the volunteers here on this site, may or may not have individual recommendations for a place for you to receive in person support for your issue. I, personally, have no clue who in your area would be useful for your needs.

However, if your battery is assumed to be good and your BB is therefore at fault, then there remains one more thing for you to try on your own (so as to determine if it is your BBOS that is corrupt)...a forceful OS reload. The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (likely moot in your current condition...hopefully you have a recent enough backup from which to restore)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now, proceed with the use of these tricks. If any suggest an update website or the Desktop Software, substitute please LOADER.EXE already installed on your PC, located at or near the same location as you would have found VENDOR.XML:

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

I found, downloaded and re-installed the 9700 version OS software, had a "successful" installation but still have a blank white screen.  I suspect it is the LCD array, as the voice command function works, and I did get the welcoming tones when the OS reloaded, and rebooted.

As well, the Desktop software says that everything is there, installed and complete, just no picture.

Now to determine if the repair is worth the cost, or just stick to my Z10.

Again, thanks for your very able assistance.

Thunderbird

Hall of Famer III

You are very welcome. Good luck!

New Contributor

As suspected, the LCD screen died.  I took it to a BB repair shop, paid $90 Cdn for a new screen and all is well!!

Thanks for your help and suggestions

Hall of Famer III

You are welcome.