Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: z10, 9900, playbook
My Carrier: tmobile

bold glitches

iam on my second bold 9900 in less than a year.  it freezes quite often and needs a lot of battery pulls. is there anything i can do to fix this?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: bold glitches

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

IMHO, the thing to do is to figure out what the exact root cause is. To do so, one must:

1) Cleanly wipe and reload their BB OS, choosing an appropriate version (this may well be open to much interpretation, but typically the most recent OS version from any carrier would be the best choice).

2) When loading that BB OS, do so as bare bones as possible.

3) Run that way for about a week -- or for however long it is necessary to make the determination that the problem has either appeared or is not going to appear.

4) Add your first add-on app -- run for another week.

5) Repeat step 4 until the problem appears...at which point you know the culprit (the last thing loaded before the problem appeared).

Sorry, I know that this sounds like a ton of work...and it is! But, if you want to truly discover the "why" of your question, then diagnostic steps are the method to discover that. Further, each user has a pretty unique set of circumstances (usage patterns, chosen add on apps, etc.) so it's not really possible to give you anything more granular than that...but that first portion (loading the OS cleanly, "bare bones") is really crucial so as to establish a good base line of the device without the issue presenting (hopefully).

If, on the other hand, the problem presents right away (with the "bare bones" OS), then you'd want to choose a different OS package -- on the slim chance that the OS version you used is actually the culprit. Further, if after some number of OS version attempts, you discover that the problem will not cure no matter how "bare bones" you load the OS, then that starts to rule in the possibility of a hardware-level issue, for which no amount of OS/software can overcome.

Oh...one more thing...keep a close eye on Application Memory as well as CPU utilization of your apps...it may well be that some apps are not properly closed and continue to consume resources. Further, if they happen to have memory leaks, you will see AppMemory decreasing as well.

Lastly, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press blackberry_logo.jpg and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................