Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

bold question uncaught exception java lang?

[ Edited ]
after i make a phone call the message "Uncaught exception : java.lang.NullPointerException"  i can simply click ok and if goes away...how do i fix?
Message Edited by minardi on 11-11-2008 09:12 PM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: bold question uncaught exception java lang?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Are you calling from the address book?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04469&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

thank you ,

i did recently try and sync my address book, it didnt work well, but after it seems to trigger this problem, but no matter where i call from, address book, or regular dialing, that message apprers.

thoughts? thanks for the help

Guru I

HI,

I would bet you have a corrupt record in the address book. I think if you follow the

procedure, the exception will stop appearing.

The phone call may "ready" the addressbook" (speculation on my part) Smiley Happy causing the

exception. I would definitely try it. It will fix the sync problem as well!

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

i just erased my entire address book, the issue didnt go away, but i turned off the phone, mabe it needed to turn on/off.  tomorrow in the office ill follow your instrcuitsion as per teh sync issues

ill definatly let you know if works

many thanks

Visitor

Re: 9000/Bold question - uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerException?

Hello, I'm new to the Bold (1 day) (but not new to software testing) and I can faithfully reproduce this error:

Uncaught Exception:  java.lang.NullPointerException

I can repeat it 100% of the time once it displayed the first time.

How it occurred:

1. I was on a call and got a call waiting, which I ignored.
  2. When I hung up my call, using the hang up button (red), I had a voicemail message waiting, and was prompted if I wanted to go to voicemail, I selected Call Voicemail from the menu.
  3. I wanted to use speakerphone, so I pressed the speakerphone button (which may or may not be relevant here)
  4. I listened to my message, and deleted it using "7".  I hung up the phone (rather than exiting using "*" first)
  5. I received the: Uncaught Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException error.  I selected OK and was sent back to the mini-menu.
  6. I selected full menu with the blackberry button, and went to call log.  From there I launched voicemail and went through the exact process again, with the same outcome.
  7. I tried this a few times in a row and always got the Exception error.
  8. I then tried turning off the phone, waiting 15-30 seconds, turning it back on and going back to call log and calling VM from there again. Selected speaker phone, moved around the menu selections in VM (because i had no more messages) and quit the app using the hang up button.  Same result.
  9. Using larger menu in VM to select Call Voicemail made no difference either.
  10. Next, I tried exiting VM "gracefully" using the "*" button as they request.  Same result.  Seems like I'm in an endless loop if I continue these steps.

Grin:  "DOCTOR! it hurts when I do this...!"    "Well... don't DO THAT!!"     Smiley Surprised)

Thanks

-Newbold

Guru I

Re: 9000/Bold question - uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerException?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

You forgot to try one step. The VM is setup in the contacts. Delete the contact, then recreate

it. Lets see if you have an invalid contact, or contact database.

The attached link will help you troubleshoot the error.

The worst that can happen with the procedures is you can't fix the error and return the phone.

Since you are on day one you might rather do that. Your call!!

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&message.id=8438&query.id=65402#M...

PS. I am old enough to have heard Henny Youngman do the "doctor joke".

Still cracks me up every time! Smiley Wink

when i try to open my blackberry messenger it comes up with this uncaught java lang thing an when i click ok nothing happens nd i cant use messenger ? an answers for me ? thanks
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ryand1990 wrote:
when i try to open my blackberry messenger it comes up with this uncaught java lang thing an when i click ok nothing happens nd i cant use messenger ? an answers for me ? thanks

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Anytime random strange behaviors creep in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Visitor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Hello,

I have the exact same problem when using BB messenger.  It pretty much happens every time I try to use messenger.  I get the error message as soon as I select BB messenger.  It doesn't matter if I try to access it through my email menu or through the applications folder.  After the first time I get the error message, I cannot access the messenger application at all.  When I click on the messenger selection in the menu or the folder, nothing happens.  Removing the battery and rebooting only makes it so I get the error message again as soon as I try to use BB messenger.  The exact error message is below.  No symptoms in any other application, and no it doesn't have water damage.  Any ideas? 

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException