Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

bold versus storm

New to blackberry and trying to choose between bold versus storm and wondering what some of the notable differences are.  I am aware of the touchscreen with storm and the different carriers (verizon versus at and t), but I am wondering about the following differences obtained from the blackberry website:

1. is the processor speed the same?  Bold lists 624 MHz, not sure what storm is.

2. are the GPSs different?  Storm says  "built in GPS" while bold says check with service provider for GPS availability.

3. are the bluetooths different - the storm has bluetooth 2.0, while the bold seems lesser, all I need is support of headset and allowing my laptop to connect.

4. what is the significance of the WiFi in bold that is not in storm if I would be buying an unlimited data plan anyway?  Is the wifi connection faster than using the carrier?  But wouldn't you be paying for the wifi connection anyway depending on where you are at?

5. bold says "integrates with existing buisness email account" but storm does not, not sure what this means, my account is microsoft exchange server so I assume it won't matter.

6. usb cable and wall charger were only listed as provided with bold not storm but I assume they have to come with both?

Any other differences of note?  Help is appreciated.

Contributor

Re: bold versus storm

I think the biggest thing you are going to be looking at are the carriers, and if you want a touch screen or not. Click sound, or no click, touchscreens are horrible when typing. I got rid of my iPhone because i just couldn't stand the touch screen for typing anything more than a word.

Wifi DOES make a huge difference in speed -- and lots of places it is free. With ATT, you can use the ATT wifi network for free with any Blackberry or iPhone (that includes all starbucks).

The chargers and cables come with all Blackberries, so you can't really go from the websites.

I think what it is going to boil down to for you is going to try both of them physically. Play with the Storm touchscreen and see if you can tolerate it for more than anything but a few words. Then it's your choice as to which system you use.

Finally -- the two systems are not interchangeable -- ATT uses GSM and Verizon uses CDSM -- GSM works internationally, Verizon's system works only the US.  

New Contributor

I have verified with Verizon that they have DISABLED the Native GPS on the Storm.  So the feature that is tauted on the Blackberry site is NOT AVAILABLE for VERZION versions of the phone.....

Add to that the fact that Verzion is going to be the ONLY supplier of that phone in the US VERIZON screws its customers again.

That makes the Bold a better bet as AT&T does NOT disable built in features.

Contributor

IN general that is true -- but not completely...there are some features available on the international unlocked versions of the Bold that are NOT available on the ATT version (like the free GPS browser, which ATT has disabled so that you need to purchase their Telnav service)
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, you can use Google Maps on AT&T BlackBerry Bold, I have it on mine and it works fine. I don't know if Google Maps will work on Verizon BlackBerry Storm?? I'm curious.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Message Edited by KBrown on 11-19-2008 07:17 PM
Contributor

Google Maps doesn't use GPS on the ATT Bold -- it uses the same triangulation system that the iPhone uses. It means you don't always get accurate street views, or your location accurately -- within a few blocks, yeah. Your exact location, not without Telnav.  Also, ATT has disabled Blackberry Maps on the the Bold, which DOES access GPS. 
New Contributor

okay, so then what are the precise GPS apps with voice for bold if you don't want to pay a monthly fee for telenav?
Contributor

There are none, that don't involve the purchase of either ATT's Telnav, or getting something like Garmin for Blackberry...

ATT has specifically locked the GPS function to not permit any free programs to do turn-by-turn or voice navigation without paying for it 

New Contributor

Well, it works fine, down to 3 meters on my BlackBerry Bold with Google Maps when the device is outside. 

Ken

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
RonAnnArbor

you should seriously stop posting right now...all your information is incorrect

the GPS on the Blackberry Bold works just fine

ATT does not restrict users from using 3rd party GPS applications..Google maps works just fine with GPS along with any other 3rd party GPS product you choose to install on your Bold

this is a response from ATT in regards to Blackberry maps and why it is disabled>>

"I have reviewed your inquiry. The service books sent to your phone,
causing the Blackberry Maps application to be disabled, were sent from
Research in Motion (the manufacturer of Blackberry devices), not from
AT&T."
Message Edited by giantfan on 03-22-2009 10:32 AM