Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

YM
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

browsing on wifi or 3G: how do I choose ?

[ Edited ]

Helle there,

new to the forum and to BB.

Just got a BB Bold and was wondering how to set my phone (browser) to use WIFI ONLY, as 3G is quite expencive but we have a good WIFi coverage free.

Same for BB Messenger, thanks in advance !

YM

Message Edited by YM on 09-06-2008 10:23 PM
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: browsing on wifi or 3G: how do I choose ?

BBmessenger works on PIN messaging and its free from RIM. Browser, if you got free Wifi ofcourse us that, but you can only use it while you are ina wifi range and once your are not in wifi zone we have to switch to your internet browser
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
YM
Contributor

Sorry is my request was not clear enough.

I have plenty of free WIFI (I live in Hong Kong) and want to make sure that browsing and messenger work on wifi and NOT on 3G (which can cost a fortune here).

How do I set them up to use wifi ONLY or let me know if they switch to 3G ?

TIA

YM

Forums Veteran I

BBmesssenger does not work on wifi, only on mobile network, but its free anyways.

Your browser, you can switch it to use wifi by going into Browser options and as i said it will keep on using wifi and you wont be able to browse if you are not in wifi coverage.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
YM
Contributor

Thanks for the Messenger tip.

However, I can't seem to find any Browser Option to use WiFi, where would that be located ?!?

Thanks again

YM

Forums Veteran I

firstly connect your device toa wifi under connection settings.

then go to browser and then push menu and go to options and browser configuration and set browser to Hotspot Browser

YM
Contributor

Hello,

I did as you said but there is no reference to "wifi only" or anything like that in the options, are we talking about the same model (Blackberry Bold here) ?

TIA

YM

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

when you configure the browser options, there is a place where you choose the default browser to take. In the list, there should be the "Hotspot" and also the "WAP/WML" and also the "Internet Browser". BBSingh suggests you to select hotspot as the default browser.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
YM
Contributor

Great guys, I finally found it THANKS !

I'll try if it works tomorrow at Starbucks Smiley Happy

Again,

YM