Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

buttons not working

Recently my phone's buttons decided not to work. I was able to turn on my phone by taking out the battery and putting it back in. but once the phone started up the trackerball would work to scroll through things but pushing down on the trackball or any buttons did nothing. and it's not just the keypad buttons its the side buttons too.

has anyone had this problem? I've only had the phone for less than 2 months and I haven't dropped it in water or anything damaging like that. it just stopped working one day.

Re: buttons not working

I have the same problem to, but only with the trackball, I dont know what to do....we are in the same trouble
New Contributor

I have the same problem. I have had it for less than 2 months. I had it in my pocket took it out and none of the buttons worked. The track ball would let me move around but I couldn't go to anything by pushing on it. None of the side buttons worked either. Can anyone help me?

I have the same exact problem and I've read about a dozen posts on different forums from people who also have the problem, and I haven't found any solution to this other than get a new phone.

Here's what happened to me....

June 19 - Buy BB Curve

July 15 - Drop my phone on a piece of metal and one button gets smashed in. I go to verizon and they give me a new one free. I restore my BB using Desktop Manager Backup/Restore function

July 16 - None of my buttons work, trackball moves but doesnt click. Go back to Verizon and explain. They give me ANOTHER new phone. Restore with backup/restore again.

July 17 - None of my buttons work again. At this point I'm thinking it's my backup file thats somehow corrupted. Instead of going back to Verizon I try to fix it myself. after i got home from work about 6 hours later wiped my BB with JL_CMDR, and reloaded OS 4.3 from Verizon's webpage. After this my blackberry slowly started to come back to life after about an hour. What I mean by that is that at first only a few of the buttons worked and slowly more started working until they all did. Additionally, for a little while some of the buttons did the wrong thing. For instance i'd press 3 and lXn would come up and then i'd press 9 and d#* would come up, really weird stuff like that. Then it just all started working again.

Aug 20 - Same problem AGAAAAAIN! Wipe BB, Reload OS AGAAAAIIN! This time it didn't work. been a few hours and none of my functionality is restored.

Had these things installed
Opera Mini
Viigo
vz nav
mobile im
think thats it, also a 4gig SD card about 25% full of mp3s

no idea how to solve this..... =*( someone help me pleeeaasssse
New Contributor

I have this exact problem, this is my 3rd phone now. I have the Sprint 8330 Curve, bought it new back in May I believe. After 1 month, keys and trackwheel button stopped working. Sprint store had no idea why, I got a new phone, did not switch the OS, everything brand new, 2 weeks later, SAME issue. I returned that phone because I was told it was a lemon... I'm not on my 3rd phone, worked great for the first month, and this morning, back to the same issue. 

I do not understand this. I've never dropped the phone, never downloaded any software other than Gmail app. Never been wet, it worked fine last night, and today it's essentially dead. The phone works fine, but the keys are dead, and nobody from Sprint or BB is able to figure this out, WTF? 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

when a package of devices are wrong, the store gets many wrong devices.
Everytime you come and change your device for a new one, your new one probably also have the same defect ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

That's possible, but what's the solution in that case? Sprint can't fix it, and the new phones are all busts..
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

I don't want to be cynical but you can wait for all that stock to deplete and wait for the next stock of Blackberries Smiley Happy

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

[ Edited ]

It's happened to me again.  Last time I posted I went to Verizon and got yet ANOTHER (4th) Curve.  It's worked fine since then but today I went to make a call and noticed that the mysterious problem has returned.

I've googled for hours and found many other people have posted that they're experiencing this problem.  When I post about this problem the only answer I get is "Do a hard reset" or "You got it wet" and then no one else posts in the thread.  I have not gotten my Curve wet, I REPEAT, IT HAS NEVER EEEEVVVVVVVER GOTTEN WET.  One person posted that maybe the store I went to had a bad batch of curves.  Possible, so last time I got it replaced I went to a different verizon store and the one I got there is now broken as well.  Additionally, the first one taht broke was from vzw online so I've tried 3 different sources.  

I find it incredibly aggravating that with all the people posting this problem on various different web forums that not a single person is able to tell me what is causing this problem.  My friend bought  a curve from verizon around the same time I did and he's never had a single problem.  So CLEARLY, something I'm doing or some software I've loaded is causing this problem.  I would literally bet $1000 that this is not a hardware issue.  It almost HAS to be software.

Anyway, idk what else to say about this.  Last week my car broke down on the highway, luckily my phone was actually working then.  What if I would have broke down today instead?  I would have had a much more serious problem.  I said this last time but I couldn't resist trying one more curve:  I'm switching to a different device and I don't even [keep it courteous please] care if its just a regular old phone.  At least I know it will work when I need it.  

Message Edited by dany_s on 10-16-2008 02:50 PM
New Contributor

trackball needs replaced they are cheap on ebay