Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2 Germany
Accepted Solution

can not deactivate smartphone password on my Curve 9320

Hi,

To protect my phone from unauthorized access I have activated the password on my curve 9320, so that it locks after 5 minutes. This works well so far.

Today I attempted to synchronize my data with my PC via the BB Desktop Software. This desktop application now asks for the password, but does not accept the password that I have entered in my phone.

I tried to deactivate the password protection by clearing the "Enable" checkbox on the phone, but I can't do this (I can't click the "Enable" box, it stays ticked with a lock symbol). I can change the password, but the BB desktop application on my pc won't accept the new password either.

Any idea anyone? Help would be much appreciated!

Best regards

Chris

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: can not deactivate smartphone password on my Curve 9320

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I think you have two separate problems...

Desktop Software rejecting your password entry.

The password prompted for by the Desktop Software and the password you assigned to lock your BB are indeed the same password. But, what I suspect is that you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, and perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

On your BB, when you type your password, you should get just a moment where each character is shown in the clear before it changes to an *. Watch closely the next time and you may see a surprising result. It will be those exact characters that you must type on your PC keyboard as that's actually your password.

Lock Symbol on device password, cannot clear "enable" setting.

There are typically two reasons that the device lock password becomes required (that's what the little lock symbol means).

1) You are part of BES or otherwise have an IT Policy on board that is forcing the requirement. Given what you describe about when you created the password, I doubt this to be the case though...if it were the case, you would have never had a choice...the first time you used your device, you would have been forced to create a device lock password. If, on the off chance, you are part of BES, then go see your BES admins as to if they are forcing this situation.

2) You have, subsequent to activating the device lock password, enabled Encryption or Content Protection on your device. Once you enable those, they require the device lock password in order to function. So, you cannot remove the device lock password until you have first removed Encryption or Content Protection from your device.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: O2 Germany

excellent - hits on both "issues"

should have found the first one myself...

thanks a million!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are very welcome.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................