Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Vodafone

cant find update

i have a blackberry 9360 with os version 7.1.0 bundle 2039 and on my blackberry it says there is a new update which is 7.1.0 bundle 2494 but when i go to my desktop software it doesnt come up with an update? how can i update it from my computer?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: cant find update

Hello,

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

i tried this and still the same. so confused
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Sadly, from those few words, it's rather difficult to tell you exactly what went wrong...so all I can do is guess...but I know 100% that this process, done correctly, works.

Done correctly, this process cannot result in "still the same"...indeed, the moment you connect your BB and launch the Desktop Software, it should offer you the update you downloaded and installed (step 3) to your PC...you should not even be able to proceed into the Desktop Software and make any of it's choices (e.g., "update"). If that did not happen, these are typically the reasons:

1. You have no BB OS Package installed to your PC
  2. You have a BB OS Package installed to your PC, but it does not exactly match the model number of your actual BB
  3. You have the correct model number BB OS Package installed to your PC, but you did not delete the Vendor.XML file(s) as previously instructed in step 4
  4. You have more than one BB OS Package installed to your PC

If any of those conditions exist, the Desktop Software will ignore the BB OS Package and attempt to use it's "automatic" methods just as it previously did...which will result the same as before. You, quite simply, must properly conduct all of those steps and ensure that none of these conditions exist. If you do so, then the OS Package you have installed to your PC will be offered to you to install to your BB.

Good luck and let us know!!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

i have tried most of the stuff even using a laptop that has never had a blackberry plugged into it and still doesn't come up. it might be because the last time i updated it didn't go too well. all i want is to fix the bugs and improve battery life but i will just wait till next update and see how that works out thanks anyway
Hall of Famer III

Well, I'm sure that you're probably accidentally making some mistake in the process, because I know 100% that it works. But I can't help you find that unless you are forthcoming with more details...I cannot see you nor your system, so I have only your words to guide me.

But, if you'd rather just wait with your issues, that's your decision to make.

Good luck!

Contributor

does downloading the update from service provider on this site cost me as i have to fill in all the details
Hall of Famer III

No.

Contributor

i got it! i downgraded my phone then when i plugged it into the PC it came up showing the new update as i was a few updates behind. thanks for all the help Smiley Happy there's a reason your a hall of famer
Hall of Famer III

Well, I'm glad you got it figured out. But you definitely seemed to be using a different process than I provided you. The process I provided you gives you control over exactly what OS will be placed onto your BB. From this information, it sounds like you continued to rely on the "automatic" processes rather than taking that control. But, no matter...at least you got what you wanted.

You are most welcome...and cheers!