Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10,torch 9860, curve 8520, 8700c
My Carrier: Idea
Accepted Solution

checking the BB status

[ Edited ]

Hi recently I had received a torch 9860 as gift and I am using just BBM service with vodafone india network and now I want to know whether it is a safe phone or not?  Coz it is unlocked and bought it US

More over I cannot update this phone OTA and also thru PC also. I cannot see "software update" option. Please help me, I cannot stop using BB

Proudful & loyal Blackberry supporter ..

throwing mud at others makes you happy now but in future you might end up in sinking in mud lake.. wake up b4 it happens. Be secure
Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: checking the BB status

Hi kruz_k

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Community Forums

kruz_k wrote:

Hi recently I had received a torch 9860 as gift and I am using just BBM service with vodafone india network and now I want to know whether it is a safe phone or not?  Coz it is unlocked and bought it US

Why do you think it is Unsafe to use Proprietary BlackBerry applications Smiley Happy If your device is Unlock you can use all BlackBerry application like email services etc. 

kruz_k wrote:

More over I cannot update this phone OTA and also thru PC also. I cannot see "software update" option. Please help me, I cannot stop using BB

I personally never recommend doing an update OTA ! Rather you can use Desktop Software or even try a manual update which in my view is the safest .

All you need is an active BlackBerry subscription from your Carrier Vodafone India , so before proceeding can you confirm if you already have it in your account ?

let us know.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Trusted Contributor

thanks for ur valuable reply and do u mean I need to register to BIS service??

Because when I had updated curve 8520 in past I was using the same BBM service too with same carrier. Smiley Happy

throwing mud at others makes you happy now but in future you might end up in sinking in mud lake.. wake up b4 it happens. Be secure
Trusted Contributor

when i update by connecting to PC and update it, it  installs upto 19% of update and says "PLEASE CHECK YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION", I don't understand what to do. I have used 2 isp but down. Does anyone know how to update it? I even tried loader.exe but it didn't showed up my bb os or core applications just BBM and BB app world

Elite II

Hi kruz_k

If you are currently using BBM then you shouldn't have any problem in updating , If you're getting any error while updating then you can try a manual update as I said , those process are simple , all you have to do is delete a few Vendor .Xml files .

Try those steps to perform a manual update :

1.Locate your Carrier and Download the OS you desire from here  BlackBerry Software Download Site

• (make sure you are downloading for the same model as you have )

2. Now Double Click  on the file that you Downloaded to Install it on your PC

3. Download and install the latest BlackBerry desktop software from here BlackBerry desktop software

• Then using desktop software perform your full backup of your device.

4.Search your C: Drive for any Vendor.xml files and delete them, there may be one or two vendor.xml ( On your PC change your folders option to show hidden files / folders  :

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\Windows UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path       will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe

Upgrade will continue then After Installation of New OS restore your backup using BlackBerry desktop

Software.

Try it and let us know if you feel any problem.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Trusted Contributor

cannot go thru still... took a screenshot but cannot understand how to upload it from PC to this post.

Trusted Contributor

I got a big doubt here, OS bundle on my mobile is 7.1 bundle 648 and it is showing update as 7.1 bundle 2061 but vodafone india carrier is showing 7.0 only???

can you please check my concern once? I will be happy with ur solution here

Elite II

Hi there ,

No need to worry Smiley Happy   those OS packs are developed by BlackBerry and then released through respective Carrier , If Vodafone India has not yet released the most recent version you can try any other Carrier OS pack ( Please note , you are free to use any OS pcack you desire , it will not affect or void your warranty )

If you want to Install OS 7.1.0.915 from Telestra then you can download it from here Software from Telstra , just select your device model and download the OS .

Or if you want to Install  OS 7.1.0.825 from Vodafone DE then download and Install from here Software from Vodafone DE

After Installing , review the # step 4 and delete those VENDOR . XML files from those location . 

Try it and if you feel any problem , feel free to share with us and let us know in detail .

Trusted Contributor

thanx .. i will let u know tomorrow..

good night all

Elite II

You are welcome .. take you time and keep us updated , just follow those above steps and I hope you won't feel any problem. ( Install only one OS pack at a time on your PC otherwise other OS pack may conflict , so remove any additional OS pack if you have from your PC before installing the OS you desire ) 

Good luck.