Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

chopped up text messages

I have the blackberry curve.  If someone sends me a long text message, it comes through all chopped up. Example I will get the first three sentences in one text, then the next text might be the last three sentences, then the next text will be maybe the middle, and so on. they wont come through in order so you can read them. I have called my service provider and they said there was nothing they could do. looking for answers, I do at times get  long text messages that i need to be able to read, due to the infor being sent Im hoping theres something that can be done or do i need to get another phone, that can recieve long text messages
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: chopped up text messages

Text message length is set by your carrier to 160 characters in length. You can not changed that.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

well can the phone except longer text messgaes if  SPRINT  changes there settings or will that not make a diiference. Does anyone else have this problem with other phone service carries.

No, the won't change the limit. There is a reason SMS means "Short Message Service" and that is the reason.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Send a message using MMS.  You can use up to 1000 characters.

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
New Contributor

OK  How do I change from SMS to MMS. I have looked on the phone and dont see where i can do this. My old phone (blackjack) had the opition either or. What is the difference between SMS & MMS. Isnt MMS for sending media mail?

Yes, MMS is for MultiMedia messages. But since it also uses the data channel for sending rather than just the voice channel, it can send longer messages.

Knowledge Base Updates
Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

But if I am reading this correctly he poster has Sprint and unfortunately Sprint has yet to offer MMS although they plan to in the future.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!

That is correct, supposedly in November of this year. We'll see.

Knowledge Base Updates
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

JSanders wrote:
Text message length is set by your carrier to 160 characters in length. You can not changed that.

yes, this is true and is part of the SMS specifications. But many carriers have given their subscribers the ability to type more than 160 chars. then the sender carrier will slice in SMS of 160 chars max, and when sending all the SMSes, will give an order.

Then the receiver carrier will receive the 3 SMS (for example) and will give them to your device.
If your device is compatible with the slicing, it will glue the three 160 msgs into one single.

If at some point one of the four actors (handheld of sender, carrier of sender, carrier of recipient, handheld of recipient) is not compatible, you get three different messages and have 1 chance out of 6 to get them in the correct order.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: