Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

computer does not recognize my blackberry

I connect my blackberry to my computer using the usb cable but my computer does not recognize it.  Had no problems with this until this week.  My computer recognizes everything else I connect to the same usb port (ipod, camera, etc..) so I don't believe its the computer.  Blackberry desk manager says disconnected!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

Re: computer does not recognize my blackberry

check in device manager, see if you see BLACKBERRY SMARTPHONE or possibly anything that doesnt look right

try another cable

try plugging it into another PC, dont need to install DTM on 2nd PC... just check device manager again

My Device: Not Specified

I'm experiencing the same issue with my BlackBerry Curve 8300 - PC wouldn't recognize it at all. I've checked against Device Manager and it didn't show up there. I then borrowed the my friend's BlackBerry Curve and connected to my PC using the same USB cable and it's being recognized just fine. I really need this to work so I can port my address book and calendar to desktop to be synced with my new Curve 8900. Please help!!!
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums darrman and kc_berry!   Smiley Happy

You may want to reboot your computer and see if that helps. When in doubt.....

Do you see the lightning bolt in the battery icon when your device is plugged in?

Are you using a USB hub or plugging the USB cable directly into the computer?  Have you tried a different computer port? You may want to try a port on the back of the computer (one that's integrated directly to the motherboard).  Best place to connect is one of the usb ports on the back of your pc i.e. not through a hub or on the pc's front or the side of a monitor.

Let us know what you find.

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9700
My Carrier: o2

i have the same problem,i did have a lightning bolt on my battery icon but nothing now,i follwed all these steps up to 6,a,ii because its not showing to verify it Smiley Sad please help

Contributor

Here are a few tips that may help if your PC is unable to detect your BlackBerry smartphone!

1.    Install the desktop manager software – when installing the Desktop Manage software that came with your device be sure to Not have the BlackBerry connected to the computer during this process.
2.    Always use the USB ports from the back of the computer; never use a USB hub or a docking station USB port.
3.    If you have another UBS cable you can try doing that to make sure it is not the cable causing the issue.
4.    If you are using a laptop computer disable the power management settings. 
    a.    For Windows-XP and Vista do the following to disable power management on the USB ports
        i.     On the computer, right-click My Computer and select Properties.
        ii.    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
        iii.    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
        iv.    Right-click the USB Root Hub and select Properties.
        v.     Click the Power Management tab, and clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
        vi.    Click OK.
        vii.    Repeat steps i. through vi. for each USB Root Hub listed in BlackBerry Device Manager.
5.    If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the Desktop Manager Software trying using the following knowledge base article to do a “clean uninstall” of the software. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206
6.    The existing USB driver installed is for an earlier model of the BlackBerry smartphone.
    a.    Manually upgrade the USB driver for the BlackBerry smartphone by completing the following steps:
        i.     Right-click My Computer and select Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
        ii.     Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, verify that the BlackBerry smartphone is found.
        iii.    If an exclamation mark is displayed, right-click the BlackBerry smartphone and select Update Driver.
        iv.    If the Hardware Update Wizard prompts you to use Windows Update, select No not this time and click Next.
        v.     Choose Install from a list or specific location and click Next.
        vi.    Choose Don't search. I will choose the driver to install and click Next.
        vii.    Click Have Disk and then choose Browse.
        viii.   Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\USB Drivers.
        ix.    Double-click on RimUsbNT.inf, click OK, and then click Next.
7.    If you have another PC try using that PC to see if you able to get the device connected
8.    If you do not have another PC then try creating a new user account on the PC and then install the Desktop Manager software on that new profile.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Hello everyone...

Has this BlackBerry been encrypted?? I have my phone encrypted, and when I plug it in, the computer doesn't even recognize that it's there unless I decrypt it using the password I set to lock the phone...

Let me know!

~Tom

~Tom
Curve 8530
Contributor

im not even sure what encripted is or how to find out lol Smiley Happy s0o0o new to blackberrys,only bought it this week

lisa

Contributor

thanks google,i know what it is now but i dont think mine is,i dont use a password on it anyways.it was all open when i got it and its never asked me for a password

My Device: blackberry curve
My Carrier: megan

hey Smiley Happy

i have connected my blackyberry curve to my laptop and its makes a little bleep noise so i know its connected , but this week its not showing up in MY COMPUTER and I've tried everything!
I've been on  
options

memory

then mass storage mode support

and it says "on" so i switched it to "off" then back to "on" connected it again and its not working :/ , my laptop is completely  fine ,and i can see the lightning bolt in my battery icon as well :/  and I've looked through the little booklets  in the box it came in and nothing can help me :/  can you help please ?