Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodacom

computer unable to install blackberry software to use phone as mass storage device

Hi, I had a blackberry curve 8520 for almost 2 years, so two weeks ago I bought a new bb curve 8520 the cutest pink little thing there is!! BUT I'm having trouble using it as a mass storage device on windows 7, the previous curve 8520 worked great on the same pc and still does, but the new one won't, when I plug in the phone via usb installing device software fails, when I go to hardware the pc does not read the device as a blackberry smartphone it says rim composite device, when I go to device manager it shows the little yellow triangle at the usb port where the blackberry is plugged in, so when I go to that properties it says code 10 error device can not start, so I try updating the driver and windows says I already have the best compatible driver for this device installed, so at this point you are probably thinking that its my pc, but its not, I plugged it in at my work pc and it does the same, so I went to a computer store with the same results on their computer, so now I'm thinking its the phone that's malfunctioning, but its not that either because my friend also baught a blackberry a week ago he has a curve 9300 and he gets the same results as I do, so the only thing I can think is that windows 7 is not compatible with the newer Blackberry software updates because they don't have the driver, and I tried those 2 drivers that u posted in previous posts the don't work either, can someone please help me with this? Plug in a old blackberry, it works, plug in a new one and it doesn't?? If its a microsoft problem someone should tell them because right now everyone is just blaming eachother and say the problem is not on their side. Your help would be much appreciated, or just an answer would be nice. Thank you
Contributor
My Device: Z 10/ Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: computer unable to install blackberry software to use phone as mass storage device

Well it could be your phone that does not work. If it is your phone you should take the battery out while the phone is on and then put the battery back in. This usually fixes any software problems.  

James.C
New Contributor

Re: computer unable to install blackberry software to use phone as mass storage device

Hi, no its not the phone, as I said in the first post my friend bought a new blackberry too mine is now about 3 weeks old and his is about a week and a half old, he has a curve 9300 and I have a 8520, and both phones are doing it no matter in what computer they are plugged into. It can't be just a terrible coincidence that both have the same problem, even though its different models. I took mine to a cellphone clinic and they said there is nothing wrong with the phone its the new software on all the new phones that is not working on the latest windows 7 driver for blackberry, the guy said I must just be patient and wait for an update for the driver, if this is true I can't say, but I hope so. He also said that if he did a software update on my old blackberry its not gonna work as a mass storage device either only reason its working now is because it still has the old software on, I have not updated it for about 8 months, so again don't know if its true or not because I don't know very much about these things, and what he said is still not a fix to my problem
Contributor
My Device: Z 10/ Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Hmm well I'm sorry i can't be more help, but i can't think of anything else you could do Smiley Sad 

James.C
New Contributor

Ahh its oky don't worry, thank you for trying