Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9810
My Carrier: at&t
Accepted Solution

corporate email access via wifi if not on a carrier

I have a torch 9810 via AT&T. If I turn the cell signal off, and just use wifi, I get all my corporate email just fine. Don't need a cell signal.

What if I cancel AT&T altogether, and don't replace it with any carrier. I then connect my blackberry through wifi to the internet. Will I still get corporate email?

A part of me says "Yes," because there's no reason not to. I can turn on the Bberry, connect it via wifi, and get email. AT&T is superfluous.

A part of me says, "No," because, I don't know, maybe when I cancel AT&T, Blackberry (the company) will "disqualify" me from their server (or something) and so the phone is a brick.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: corporate email access via wifi if not on a carrier

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

On legacy BBs (pre-BB10), all BB-proprietary services, including email, depended on an active BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) account. The device itself does not have a full-blown email client...it depends on BIS in order to provide email functionality. And, that BIS infrastructure is hosted at the carriers and BlackBerry -- and is utilized for your email at all times, regardless of the channel (WiFi or carrier data network) that you have active on your BB.

So, the long and short of it is that, if you cancel your BIS account (by virtue of cancelling AT&T), your email will cease to function (since your BB will no longer be able to communicate with BIS), even if you only use WiFi.

On BB10, BIS is removed, replaced with a full on-device email client...hence, a BB10 device can function perfectly well for email only via WiFi, since it does not need to talk to BIS. But, legacy devices must talk to BIS.

Good luck!

Edit...I just noticed your use of the word "corporate". If, by that, you mean BES, then the same situation still applies...it's just a BES-level account (from your carrier) rather than a BIS-level account that is required for functionality.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................