Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8310
My Carrier: centennial wireless

curve 8310 trouble with "download app world"

when attempting to download blackberry app world from my device i get a message stating "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support blackberry app world".  i go to "options" then "about" and see "v4.2.2.181".

any ideas on anything i can do to be able to download app world or at least the free apps?  (i do not have access to a usb at this time, so any updates would have to be done through the device.)

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: curve 8310 trouble with "download app world"

Who is your carrier/service provider?  I'll take a look and see what OS versions they have available.  But be forewarned, you will probably need to get access to a computer to download and install any updates.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Krypto wrote:

Who is your carrier/service provider?  I'll take a look and see what OS versions they have available.  But be forewarned, you will probably need to get access to a computer to download and install any updates.

thank you so much...  my provider is centennial wireless.  any furhter info/suggestions will be appreciated.

Elite I

Ok, Centennial Wireless does have an available update that should be compatible with App World.  This update is to version 4.5.0.55.

Now then, I'm not entirely sure if Centennial Wireless offers wireless updates as an option for the 8310, but you can check under Options > Wireless Update (may also be under Advanced Options).  Even if they do offer this update wirelessly though, I still recommend performing a manual backup of the device.

If you can't use the Wireless Update option and you simply are not around your own personal computer but have access to a different computer, you can plug your phone into that computer and then go to http://www.blackberry.com/update.  Be aware that any miniUSB cable should work... you don't necessarily need the one from your BlackBerry, so if you have one from another device (e.g. a camera), that should work for you.

If you have access to a computer with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed, you can manually download the OS and install it to your computer from this site: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=F21E255F89E0F258ACCBE4E984EEF486

Once you've downloaded and installed the OS, you can backup your device, then run the update.

There are a couple of different options for you.  Hopefully one will work out.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

thank you again...

on my phone, under neither "options" nor "advanced options" is there a  choice to click on "wireless update"... could this be somewhere else on the phone? 

i have just about resigned myself to the fact that i will need to do the update online, and will use the suggesgtions of yours above... i am on an extended, unexpected stay at a hospital with a family member and do not have access to any usb cord.  i have alot of "down" time here and was trying to get some new (to me) apps/activities.  i guess i will just have to wait, but, again i will use your suggestions and thank you for same.

Elite I

You should have an Options icon... it likely looks like a little wrench.  Smiley Happy

Good luck with everything though.  And if you do need further help, feel free to ask.

New Contributor

yes, i do in fact have an "options" icon... but what i am saying is that nowhere under that (or even "advanced options" is there a choice for "wireless updates"...

further thoughts???

Elite I

Ahh, ok, I see what you mean.  Unfortunately, that's actually what I was afraid of.  I wasn't sure if the older 4.2 OS offered the option for a wireless update, but it appears not.  In this case, the only option is the computer option.  Smiley Sad  But to be perfectly honest, that is a better option anyhow as fewer things are likely to go wrong.

Now then, that said, you should be able to find various time killing apps without having to download App World.  Take a look at the Mobihand stores (there are various versions available, including the main one via http://www.mobihand.com (accessible via your BB as well)).  Another one that some people have tried is http://www.getjar.com.

Anyhow, I hope this might help a bit!

New Contributor

thank you so much for your time, thoughts and input.

My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: MTN

Hi I am having the same problem with regard to downloading apps world, google talk, facebook for my curve, please HELP!